101+102 chord mode ? is it possible?

Similar to 301 could we maybe connect 2 tracks to get access to CV A B (t1) A B (t2) but driven by one gate? Would be great for making chords : )) Esp given gropus/maths modifiers i think the chord section for 101/102 would become superbly powerful fast.

Although the idea is nice, surely you must agree that the ER-101 physical interface would be a poor fit?

By the way, have you tried using one track to specify the chord quality and another track to specify the root pitch then combining externally with a CV mixer?

For example,
Root Pitch = Track 1 CV-A
Second Pitch = Track 2 CV-A + Track 1 CV-A
Third Pitch = Track 2 CV-B + Track 1 CV-A

This way you can manipulate the chord quality separately from the chord root which should get you most of the way to operating on chords rather than individual pitches. And you still have one CV left over for expression.

2 Likes

I can think of several UX / UI logics that would work with 101 alone; if youā€™d like i can make a doc with suggested solutions (a combo button press that changes track & pattern screens into CVA/CVB for linked track, etc).

Problem with mixing (as i understand it) is that still iā€™d need to have same gate data on 2 tracks for the chords to come together. So basically copy/pasting every time you make change.

Because yeah it is even now possible to just make 2 tracks that have copies of gate info and use CV A + B as 4 note chord together. Itā€™s just when you want to make some operations on that, then the 2nd gate track that needs to be exactly the same makes it a chore.

A solution for beginning would be to have some setup option to autocopy/mirror gate info from track x to track y (with all the math, group, part etc info) and then manualy go through track x & y CV A+B to set up chords.

Later just a ā€˜viewā€™ of the interface where you can adjust steps + 4x CV info and voila, chord mode is born.

Given how strong groups & maths part section is, being able to make 4 note chords and apply some quantized interval modifications would be of great benefit!

Later maybe depending on the table (scale) we can just rotate encoder L for chord, and R for its inversions/variationsā€¦ one can dream :slight_smile:

Hmm. I think you are describing a whole new module not just a mode. It feels like too much to shoehorn into the existing interface and would require new panel graphics to make senseā€¦:thinking:

You make it sound like my suggestion is no different from just controlling each note individually. Iā€™m confusedā€¦

im sorry, english is not my main language and i might be vague. To the point -
in your example youā€™re using track 1(cvA) & 2(cvAB) to derive pitches. But these pitches are not ā€œfree runningā€ right. They need to be assigned to ā€œstepsā€ and clocked.

Hence for a ā€œchordā€ to occur track 1 cvA gate & duration must be the same as track 2 gate & duration for 3 pitches to happen at the same time. Hope that clarifies it.

You are describing the requirements for block chords which is a very specific (limited?) use of chords.

If you really want to work mainly with block chords then I would recommend pairing the ER-101 with Toppobrilloā€™s Quantimator in chord mode. You can generate any block triad chord using just one track this way.

oh, thanks for recommendation :slight_smile:

In this video @10:50 Colin mentions the ER-101 was used to program the main chord progression for the track heā€™s building. @14:34 he adds that itā€™s running through a (Doepfer) Precision Adder A-185-2 which normally is used change the chord. He demonstrates a quick example of what a Precision Adder does, but in this particular track itā€™s purely the ER-101 being used to change the notes of the chord.

I saw another video where the root note of the chord is played on the WMD Arpitecht and the additional three notes/progressions are happening on the Triad expander, all feeding to 4x VCOā€™s.

1 Like

I have an AQA TEG. A gate on the first input is normaled to envelope 2 and 3. So the single gate input from track 1 of the 101 can fire all 3 envelopes thus not requiring gate duplication on tracks 2 and 3 of the sequencer. Only, if you want varying gate lengths then most likely you should use all three gate tacks on the ER