Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

16n firmware optimized for ER-301 & I2C

Did you make sure to install the pull-up resistors on the 16n?

From the build guide:

By default, I2C is not set up for ‘master’ mode (ie: it will work with monome Teletype and similar, but not ER-301/Ansible. To make it work for ER-301, you need to enable ‘master’ mode in config.h , and ensure your pull-up resistors are in place).

1 Like

Michigan Syntworks built mine. I dont know - here is a picture of my 16n - which ones are the pull-up resistors?

0 Likes

R17 and R18. So no, they are not installed.

1 Like

okay, there it is! thanks.!

0 Likes

I am using a TELEXb module, that is not enough?

I don’t know where to get the R-EU R0805 resistors, does anyone has a link?

0 Likes

If you are using TXb and it is plugged in to power, then its pull-ups should suffice. If you do install the pull-ups on the 16n then try it with the TXb unpowered first.

1 Like

It might be difficult to see, but wanted to be sure its connected as it should - does this look right?

0 Likes

I feel like there should be a discourse badge for the first time we get quoted by @odevices :relaxed:

4 Likes

hmm, i am just about to geta 16n tomorrow and i cannot find where to plug these i2c cables…I cant find the regular 12c lines anywhere but i know it was modded for it as i asked (a bridge on on the FGPA)
Mines a rev 7

0 Likes

Please consult the ER-301 wiki for hookup details.

0 Likes

you will need to make a stereo minijack to i2c converter cable, without something like TELEXb by bpcmusic

0 Likes

I’ve now installed 10k, 5% 0805 resistors in R17 and R18, but I still can’t see any connection. I tried to go without TELEXb, with TELEXb, and with TELEXb without power. Also a different stereo-jack cable and always checked that it was powered. I even tried with @Drillionaire’s firmware and “16n_firmware_v132_MASTER.hex” that i found on lines forum.

I guess the issue would be found either somewhere in the I2C circuit of my 16n or ER-301.

I’m on 0.3 stable firmware.

Could it be somewhere else? :thinking:

2 Likes

Is this what im looking for?

1 Like

Yes, except it doesn’t say in what order the pins are attached - probably easier to make your own. What revision of ER-301 do you have? Be aware that early versions has a different SDA SCL GND order for the pins. This is how they should be attached to the jack:

Tip: SDA
Ring: SCL
Sleeve: GND (ground)

Check this link for the I2C part of the cable: https://llllllll.co/t/diy-i2c-cables/12833

2 Likes

It’s also not too hard to swap the pin order on those crimped pin connectors. If you take the tip of some tweezers, or a very small screwdriver, heck a toothpick might work, and you press on the silver part of the connector while gently pulling on the corresponding wire, it will pull out of the black housing. Then you can re-arrange them as you like.

Of course this necessitates having some way to check and see how they’re wired at the other end of the cable, so you’d have to check continuity with a multimeter or something of the sort, since it looks like the 3.5mm TRS end is overmolded onto the cable.

2 Likes

Was hoping to see @Simontl’s situation resolved, as I am currently in the same boat.

ER-301 rev 7 w/mod running .4.11, txb powered, no R17/R18 on 16n, master/0x31 firmware changes made, swapped wires 1 and 2 around on the ER-301 side of the i2c connection…

MIDI registers fine on the test page, CV sends fine when USB-powered, no i2c :thinking:

Edit: successful i2c communication between 16n and ER-301 via txb

0 Likes

I finally made it work, after countless of hours testing, troubleshooting and soldering!! Such a relief.!

I don’t know what was the exact issue in the end unfortunately.

If anyone experiences problems, feel free to write me or in this thread and I’ll try to help.!

2 Likes

Happy to hear you got it working!

1 Like

sorry moved to another post

0 Likes

Self-quote from lines forum…

1 Like