4 Step sequential Trigger Custom Unit

Heya!

Here’s a method of creating a 4 step sequential Trigger with nothing but a custom unit and a few VCA’s & offsets. Using custom unit controls, you can easily create some simple logic to make it all happen. If you apply this concept even further, you can make 8 steps. (except it brought my 301 to the brink with 8 sample players each with a VCA/ADSR etc)

This of course would be too big to have on the main screen of a custom unit sampler instrument (or whatever) so the idea is to have it one level down from the main ‘simple’ interface part of your instrument. You will need to add ‘pass through controls’ to move additional signals to the layer below IE: CV 1 and 2 in the diagram.

Within the trigger custom unit is where you’d add mixers containing sample players (or anything you want).

I like using another custom unit within these mixers so you only have to re-assign the trigger 1 to 4 if copy and pasting each ‘voice’ vs digging through sample players to assign all the signals.

Any questions lemme know!

Hey Neil, thanks for sharing. Maybe I just haven’t had enough coffee yet. But I am not grokking this for some reason.

Is the idea that each successive gate is sent to the next sample player? I guess I don’t understand what’s distributing and advancing it.

Exactly - it’s a 1-4… and each would be assigned to i.e.: a sampler player trigger input.

Through the combo of toggles it generates 4 independent states, that in turn make each of the 1-4’s fire.

I think I better make that video :slight_smile:

Neil

1 Like

It would help me. I can see there’s some kind of logic configuration happening with the toggles but just can’t visualize how/why it works.

The idea is, primary toggle “A or B” triggers the state of two secondary toggles (“1/3” and “2/4” ). These secondary toggles take 2x longer than the first toggle… so with a gate inpu triggering the primary “AorB” toggle it will takes 4 pulses to complete the cycle. Adding a -1 VCA and +1 offset to the input of “2/4” cause this secondary toggle to operate on gate low instead of gate high. This gives us the 4 states we need to fire the 4 triggers.

Two of the triggers require the same inversion method to trigger on gate low of each of the secondary toggles.

Video still to come but hope this chart helps visualize it:

1 Like

Ok, yeah, I get it now. That’s really clever! :smiley: