4 Voice Round-Robin Sampler Player Instrument

Heya!

So I have made a 4 voice, round-robin playback sampler instrument. I’m trying to figure out the best way to approach video(s) for it as it has a few moving parts, each contained in it’s own custom unit

-The Outer Instrument Shell

-4 step sequential Trigger Module (made purely of gate and toggles controls)

-Voice Module (contains the sample round robin control (with pseudo random) as well as locking pitch per trigger (so Ie: if you play a C note, and then press an E, the previous voice still holds a C instead of jumping up to an E)

It’s more levels of subchains as it would use if it was a single lean and mean instrument, but, I wanted each module to be fully self contained for other uses without having to go into each of guts to re-assign controls.

This is a rough breakdown:

I’ve also come up with a way to use the Pedal Looper and another sample player to record and dice new sample content, and then use the pool’s replace function to swap out the sample data for the instrument.

It’s quick and fun to make playable instruments!

My favourite surprise find is that it tracks the gates and pitch CV so quickly, that you can essentially play chords from a monophonic source!

So… any suggestions? How should I break it down? And I’ll share the Files as well.

Neil

6 Likes

Looking forward to it. I’m not really sure as far as suggestions how to break it down. Looks like each individual mixer channel is not going to do much without the parent CUs in place.

All I can really come up with is to maybe do a high level overview from an end user perspective of what it does/how to use it, and then do a second video to talk about how and why it works? Or do a complete build walk through…

2 Likes

Oh cool. Hey @Joe that reminds me of that unit you built a while ago now, same sort of kind of concept I guess! Custom Unit Build: 4 Poly Round Robin Sample Player Will be very interesting to see a different unit building approach on this.

@NeilParfitt i’m a big fan of modularity and reusability of components so it makes sense to me what you did. Maybe the most interesting part in this patch would be the sequential trigger unit, at this point in the series? It’s advanced stuff but I believe this sort of utility madness is what makes the ER-301 so powerful and attractive. But an overview for end users would definitely be necessary to even know what’s going on. I’m looking forward to this one!

1 Like

yep the counter circuit is completely different and the 4 poly part is similar, with the additional of each voice jumping between 4 different sounds (the round robin part) within to further keep the sound slightly different each time a note is played.

2 Likes

great idea,
did you like to share it ?