The Bounty Hunters project šŸ¦œ

Nah Iā€™m just dumping ideas. Thereā€™s no pressure involved in any of this. The way you might choose to handle it is fine with me, I wouldnā€™t mind if it was never touched haha.

I donā€™t think this endeavour should feel in any way like a commitment to anyone. Weā€™re all just having fun. My way of having fun is brainstorming cool ideas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

just another dump

• revised limiter, based on available core limiter (essentials), just with subchains for pre and post.
    (does an additional tanh response make sense? i almost always use the inv sqrt for its perceived softness) currently i like to place a vca before certain limiters in order to dynamically and remotely push the limiter input so i can make use of the distortion capabilities of the built in limiter.

• revised version of the sampling vca, just with a switch that chooses between the available through zero sampling behaviour (rather not clicky) and the regular vca zero-crossing-ignorant behaviour (which is arbitrarily clicky/poppy) mostly use the sampling vca for its unclicky business. but every now and then iā€™d like to switch easily between sampling and not sampling behaviour (e.g. with my experiments with the reso.pkg)

1 Like

For some reason I thought Iā€™d already added this but I guess I didnā€™t. Iā€™ll put it on my list. Also want to look at moving more of this unit to the c++ layer for some addā€™l cpu love.

2 Likes

Apology accepted! :rofl:
donā€™t worry @Joe, and i know iā€™ve been bugging you with it some time ago.
and i really thought that it was a good addition to the unit. but frankly, it wasnā€™t until your
reso.pkg (and my abuse of it) that i REALLY wished i could just flick that switch.
because i also wanted to get some (at least occasional) clicks and pops into the looong response of the reso unit. (see @worldwaves alternative solution)

didnā€™t think of that dry/wet solution, which i think also brings some other benefits, too (e.g. with a bowed reso.pkg).
instead i fed my final sampling vca with an adsr signal with a sharp attack (to accentuate the low response time of reso.pkg) and quite a low sustain level to attenuate the resonating filters. that worked well to some extent. but being able to mix in a sharp shaped exciter signal like @worldwave suggested will be the best way to get that percussiveness, snappines that you indeed wouldnā€™t expect from a pinged filter resonanceā€¦

My request is a shout-out to the Techniques for Real-time Data-driven Synthesis thread from many moons ago:

A buffer that allows clickless simultaneous recording and playback.

My personal use case is having a shared buffer that can be recorded into on demand while it is also being accessed by a granular unit and having no clicks from the granular when the record head replaces the contents of the buffer.

4 Likes

Wanted: Visualizer unit with fullscreen frequency analyzer for the top display and selectable between frequency-locking scope and waveform analyzer for the sub-display.

6 Likes

If someone would like to contribute to this project, and doesnā€™t know how or what and doesnā€™t write code and has no clue where to start in GitHub, hereā€™s an idea: we need someone to organize and keep track of the suggestions in this thread. There has been many already and Iā€™m sure there are more to come, and we have only limited capacity to fulfil our dreams. It would be great to keep an overview, possibly detect overlap, and then pour these ideas in a format that we can use to make break-out threads when the opportunity is there.

Off the top of my head, we would need an easy to understand working title, a set of requirements that need fulfilling, maybe categorizing them, also making sure the person who made the suggestion doesnā€™t get lost.

This could be Google spreadsheet, or some tool that a few people have access to. We could even use something like that as data for the hubā€¦

1 Like

So here is an idea for a unit I was thinking about. It would be a phase shifter. Basically it would be a very short delay whose delay time would be adjusted depending on a v/oct tuning input and a phase shift input. So if your tuning is set to 300 hz and your phase shift is set to 90 degrees you would have a delay of 13 ms, meaning any periodic wave coming in at 300 hz would get shifted by 90 degrees.

I donā€™t know what sort of musical applications this would have but I think it might be a useful building block.

1 Like

Iā€™m quoting myself, oh dear :confounded:

So, I whipped up this Google sheet with all the ideas for projects that have not yet been claimed and this data is actually sourcing a new page on the hub: https://er301-hub.netlify.app/unsorted This seems to work, so anyone who feels the calling to organize this can do so by editing the public Sheet Unsorted Wanted list - Google Sheets (you do need editing access)

2 Likes

You forgot to preface it with ā€œA great man once saidā€¦ā€ :joy:

Nice work on getting it connected as a data source!

1 Like

Still perhaps the most waited for feature here!

1 Like

Just a heads up for hub users: our pages may be down once in a while due to hitting the API limit while Iā€™m testing some functionalities.

This comment has somehow anchored itself in my mind. Iā€™m still somewhat on the fence about the money aspect of this project. ODcoin would be such a cool currency. I think Dogecoin has grown from this sort of ā€œtipā€ system to an actual crypto currency. Does anyone know how to fork a coin? :smiley: Iā€™m only half-joking because I have been known to sink my teeth in impossible projects before, if anything itā€™s the story of my life.

So far there havenā€™t been any pay-outs yet, but $USD just doesnā€™t seem to cover the symbolic value I would like the Bounty Hunter project to carry.

The shop has been collecting some money, but profit margins are very, very unstable. Due to global shipping and every country implying its own taxes, import and shipping rates sometimes I actually loose money :laughing: (to be honest this happened only once and I adjusted the item price).

This is by no means me complaining because Iā€™m having a ton of fun with the endeavour, but I tend to approach all aspects of my business in both a philosophical way as a practical one. And I havenā€™t quite cracked this nut, also because itā€™s so new to me. Iā€™m learning a lot with this project.

If anyone has one or two cents to add to my thinking-out-loud here, do comment :slight_smile:

Also spit balling here, from my forays into learning about the crypto space, hereā€™s the first idea that comes to mind:

• Every one who owns an ER-301 automatically gets, say, 100 ODcoins
  • You ā€œspendā€ that coin by adding to the ā€œbountyā€ for feature/app requests
  • Once the feature/app is completed, the developer receives the coins.
  • There is no monetary benefit to holding the most coins, just a symbol of the communityā€™s respect and bragging rights

Potential variations:

• You receive additional coins for making a feature request
  • You can ā€œtipā€ someone for offering useful advice
  • Some way of tracking ā€˜coins spentā€™ and ā€˜coins receivedā€™, maybe it shows up our profiles on the forum.
  • Thereā€™s always the idea of ā€œexclusive accessā€ when you have a threshold of coins, but I donā€™t know what that would look like. The developer with the most coins gets to drive the support car on Brianā€™s next bike tour?

As for the skillset to build such a thing, I got nothing, haha. Anytime I think about this space itā€™s always with the caveat of thinking how to coax my developer buddy to build it for me, haha.

1 Like

Whahaha thatā€™s hilarious. But apart from the anti-climax, you really summed it up!! I love it and itā€™s very close to what I had in mind. Who will do it though hahah. Itā€™s such a good idea.

EDIT: Iā€™m a front-end web dev/designer myself (if that hasnā€™t been made obvious yet by my contributions), and I like technical stuff but Iā€™m not really good at it. I have looked into blockchain technology before but itā€™s pretty daunting.

Iā€™m an ideas guy. :rofl:

1 Like

I couldnā€™t help it :flushed:

6 Likes

only if the ER-301 itself acted as the cold wallet :smiley:

4 Likes

I wonder if the ā€˜heartsā€™ on the forum could be changed graphically to an image of an O|D coin heheheh

1 Like

Personally I am quite against cryptocurrency, primarily for the environmental reason, but also because I very much dislike speculative markets. This idea obviously doesnā€™t sound like those really, but when I hear those things it raises the hair on my neck.

6 Likes