Announcing 8m Eurorack 8 channel fader bank with I2C, Multifunction CV, and MIDI outs

Since hw is done and sw is coming along, do you have a more accurate estimate on availability?

Early next year. January hopefully

Looks very tasty, and to have friendly capabilities. May I ask what the sensitivity on the faders are? I was surprised to find – via use of the er301 – that the voltage block’s is 0.1 or so. I think?

im not sure i follow. How exactly are you defining “sensitivity”

1 Like

Resolution of the ADC, perhaps.

The CV outputs are analog, to my understanding. Therefore the ADC is only in play for converting values to MIDI or I2C, each of which has their own size of message. I think it’s 7-bit on MIDI and 16-bit on I2C? Maybe but don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

Dear all, first post here… currently spying frenetically around, and waiting for my ER-301 to arrive (should be hopefully end of month !). I “therefore” (if not having a practical experience is a valid excuse) apologize in advance for my basic question and the way it is formulated, related to the following quote : “this thing is very different from the 16n. All the scaling is done after the ADC so the fader is always Min-Max wrt to i2c and midi. Inverting the voltage DOES reflect the midi and i2c since that is done before the ADC”.
If I make a patch adjusting the min/max values in order to later on explore sweet spots, do you mean that the 16n (vs this one), would not allow me to enjoy the full available resolution on the range of values I decide to dive in for further exploration ?¿
Many thanks in advance for your answer(s).

My understanding:

16n: External 5V PSU feeds voltage divider (fader) which is hooked directly to CV output and mux/ADC in parallel. No scaling or inversion of CV.

8m: Internal PSU feeds voltage divider (fader) which feeds mux/ADC and scaling/invert circuit in parallel. CV outputs come from scaling/invert circuit.

The 16n does have some issues with reaching full scale, but it’s often related to poor power supplies.
I think it’s really easy to patch around, especially with the ER-301. And I wouldn’t worry about resolution from either of them. Though you haven’t mentioned your use case (I2C vs MIDI vs CV).

Thx Desolation Jon, all clear.

Yeah i mean resolution of output. Thanks, that was good answer… I’ll be keeping my voltage block though, for the sequencing feature/s

The resolution of the ADC is 12bits (technically) in the SAMD21, not that all that is used. The midi out is only 0-127 values. I’d have to look up the I2C resoultion

I’ve been playing with a prototype of the 8m, it’s currently hooked up via i2c in a small case dedicated to the ER-301. That paired with the Manual Gates is the closest I’ve felt to having the ER-301 be a standalone instrument. Now all I need is for my Tendrils cables order to show up to reduce the spaghetti insanity, ha. And, yes, black panels are coming…

8 Likes

So here is the final hardware, I’ll offer the devices with LEDs or without (at reduced cost). 4 Panel options will be available.

The plan right now is to make the device fully configurable on the hardware so it will be just a matter of switching some configuration jumpers on the module to go between master and follower modes. No flashing needed

8 Likes

Clean! Is the price point still around $200?

Yes…

2 Likes

Thanks!

That’s great! Seems like re-flashing the firmware has been kind of a pain point for people using the 16n in leader mode with the ER-301.

1 Like

yeah, exactly for that reason. Even with the different platform, there is still just a fraction of the codespace used so coding both variants and just having a hardware switch to go between the two makes more sense

If this is connected to an ER-301 over i2c, is it sometimes necessary to power up the module after the 301? Asking because my 16n requires this about 90% of the time, and with a module it would be rather annoying.

Is the response curve of the of pots linear?

We’ve been looking at that issue specifically and it does not hang up like 16n in master mode.

The Pots are 103B0 taper (linear 10K)

1 Like

I’m a bit surprised that there is no reset button or anything like that on the 16n or its derivatives, since it’s generally not possible to power cycle individual modules. This hypothetical button could be used for switching between configurations as well.