Autogen301 - a collection of self generating custom units

So I’m running firmware 0.4.11 and I am having trouble getting these units running. Joe’s Bespoke units are there and in ER-301/libs, I tried naming the folder “Joe-s-Bespoke-ER-301-Units Firmware 0.3 Stable” and “Joe-s-Bespoke-ER-301-Units”, but still no success. I have been able to use some other custom units, but I am somewhat new to the 301, so it could be user error. Either way, I haven’t had luck with these on v0.4 yet. I’ll keep poking away at it though.

I don’t think the folder name for the bespoke library matters. My guess is that you’ll need to load up 0.3.25 firmware to use these custom units until they get updated to work with 0.4 firmware.

1 Like

Hi, I tried this on 0.4.10, nothing shows up; I take it none of this works on 0.4.10?

1 Like

Earlier in the thread it was stated that @mudlogger wouldn’t update these units until v0.4 was officially released.

2 Likes

Thanks, downgraded to 0.3.25, works now :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rennerom @St0rMl0rD
Thanks. Just to confirm, I didn’t want to update these units until 0.4 is 100% stable. ie not a beta firmware. Otherwise, issues would have to be addressed, and it could potentially mean keep changing 15 units during frequent beta software changes. I am not even running the 0.4 beta firmware on my machine as I have been gigging. When stable, I will be updating them. In the meantime you can always flip back to the stable firmware, to check them out. This is the reason why a stated the firmware I used to build the units which was 0.3.25

3 Likes

@mudlogger, thanks for confirming. I understand these weren’t developed on v.4, I just wanted to confirm whether or not they’re usable on v.4 in spite of me being a novice on the 301. I suppose I could run 3.25 to get in on this goodness :thinking:

1 Like

that’s what I did :slight_smile:

1 Like

dear @mudlogger have any of these been updated for v4.11 yet?

See his reply 4 posts above.

noted thanks

1 Like

Ah, man, your units are one of the main reasons why I’m saving up for an ER-301, ace job! :smiley:

1 Like

Since FW version 0.5 is now officially a rumour :smile: We can soon begin to really pressure @mudlogger to port the presets :partying_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’ve been on v4 for a couple of weeks and still don’t know the full extent of all the changes and new features yet. The update is not as easy as I thought since Joes modules are now renamed and all my modulation has disappeared, as well as some other units I used also gone. I thought I could just link up and point at the new Accents but some I used also have different names (like the Bandpass Filter), are in a different folder and there is no option to do a “lost file search / replace option”. When loading up these presets it’s just a blank space where modulation was. I tried renaming some Joes Accents files and putting them in Joes Bespoke Units folder but that went wrong. So what I am left with is the equivalent of pulling out all the patch cables of a modular, changing a few modules, whilst twisting all the knobs at the same time :slight_smile: 90% of these patches were about the modulation point settings and Joes units. Even some basic quicksaves of some of these patches sound very wrong because some of the modulation has disappeared in the upgrade, whilst the core shell of the patch remains. It’s remains a modular without patch cables. With Brian’s best effects there are still waay too many breaking changing in v4 update for these to be easily and quickly updated. The only way I can see doing it is to flip back to v3, open up every preset and mark down on paper all the modulation points for every Joe unit in the patch (there’s @30 plus points) in each one, flip back to V4, open up the patch and hand enter them all again using Joes Accents names. it would probably take a couple of hours to do each one x 15. So probably about 30 hours :slight_smile:

I’ll have a play about with them over the next couple of weeks, but thinking its maybe better to start from scratch with a completely new set. I really like what’s happened with locals and I like all the extra stuff that Joe added to accents.

5 Likes

I wonder if it could be as simple as opening up the converted unit preset in a text editor and doing a find/replace on the names of the Accents units that have changed. Most of them were pretty simple changes - e.g. “Bespoke BPF” became “Ladder BPF”. I’ve had very little time in front of the modular this summer, but will try to have a look when I can to see if that might work.

3 Likes

Thanks Joe, that’s a good idea, I’ll have a look into it. No need for you to do anything, I will try and sort myself. I don’t want to bother too many folk as it’s really my issue. The other thing missing are the custom unit parameters controls I had set up to another dozen or so parameters, which I also can’t find. I’ll dig into the beta thread to find out what happened to them. Maybe they are hidden or something.

Update - the find and replace “Joe’s Bespoke Units” to “accents” in a text editor seems to have worked. The modulation is slightly off but i can work with it and free up some DSP using shared locals.

5 Likes

Could someone try this? I’m on v0.4.21 firmware

Just load it up on 1 mono channel and it should autoplay.

You need Joe’s “accents” installed here ER301/lib/accents/

I put the file in ER301/v0.4/presets/custom-effect/autogen301/

alien radio v4 test.unit (118.3 KB)

5 Likes

the file generates sound for me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ok great thanks!

2 Likes

Getting there, but it’s slow going. 70% of the modulation I can get back by changing to Accents via text file. For some reason v/Oct oscillator mod controls and Delay time modulation controls remain blank in the upgrade changing from .lua to .unit. Even after altering the script text file. All the custom controls modulation parameters are also blank.

To fix it, I am having to flick back to v3.25, remove Accents folder, add Joes Custom Units folder so I can read them, manually save the missing CV modulation as a mixer unit preset. Remove Joes Units, Add Accents folder. Copy mixer preset from v3 to v4 folder, rename the mixer preset from lua .unit. Reload v4.23 and add the correct modulation…

Here’s one I finished. I have done 10 so far and may have a few additions also.

15 Likes