Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Breakbeat functionality of Sample units (Looping the end of a slice in reverse)

I’ve seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPYg59BRgI0
and was wondering if anything similar is possible with one of the ER301 sampleplayer units. ‘‘FANU’’ talks at minute 6:00 about how he uses saples slices without time streching to not loose too much of sound quality in his breaks, to fill the gaps when he slows down the break he utilises the samplers looping function. Ableton sampler then loops only a defined area at the end of a slice and this in reverse. the result sounds great. i was wondering if this is possible with the er301 if not @odevices i would love to see this in a future firmwareversion. :star_struck: :star_struck: :star_struck:
cheers

hello, just another perspective:
the author of the video almost certainly refers to ableton’s “warp” when talking about timestretch.
i always, like him, avoid warping breakbeats because that introduces very bad audio artifacts.
but if you change the playback speed of a sample you are neither warping nor timestretching, you just read it at another speed.
this doesnt produce transient smashing or other bothering artifacts, just a pitch change.

so i suggest you ignore this looping thing and just use the clocked sample player so the breakbeat will always play synced to your clock , never having any “gap”, but will smoothly change pitch and duration when you change speed.

this is also possible in ableton if one uses the “repitch” warp algorithm.
keep also in mind that the “flavour” of old school “chopped” breakbeat based music (be it hip hop or house or jungle) derived exactly from “pitching” the samples to fit the duration needed, because no warp was available at the time. so you get those high pitched stingy breaks in jungle and old school d’n’b or those grainy bass heavy beats in old school hip hop…
just my 2 cents.

1 Like

As for breakbeat land I would agree that we have plenty of very fine sounding sample and grain engines that can do loads of fantastic things. Some might be even beyond the capabilities of live, I guess. But since the er301 I’ve been away from Ableton for quite some time, so who am I to …

However I find that “reverse loop” effect Quite intriguing! Especially when we would leave breakbeat land (which I also love) and carry that thing to foreign countries… And I tried to achieve it yesterday but failed.

As I understand it this wouldn’t loop a certain part in reverse but rather scratch it back and forth. Now I’m thinking of feeding those engines that have speed parameter with delayed modulation. I.e. the same gate/trigger that is starting a slice would feed Into a subchain of the speed parameter containing a Vca-Ed mod source That can be delayed.

So when the slice starts it would play with speed=1.
But you could set a delay time after which a modulation would kick in to Turn the speed parameter To -1.
Now that mod source could be periodic. E.g. a pulse wave that would switch between 2 speeds and the frequency of that wave would determine the ping pong loop Length.

This method would not necessarily loop at the end of the slice, for which I still haven’t found a solution for…

EDIT: my first experiments look promising. though i’m still struggling with its maths and logics…

3 Likes

i always used the varispeed player and calculated the time of the sample to my bpm. (oldschool way) worked super fine. But i am still very impressed what flavor the looopy thing adds to the break it somehow gives some magic flow i would love to be able to use on my er301. super happy this is getting a how to make drumbreaks on the er301 discussion even tho I have read here in the forum a few things about breaks allready. cheers guys.

EDIT: i tried also the clocked player yesterday and was happy with the result. still its different.
delaying the gate sounds super promising will wrap my head also arround it.

1 Like