Buying a Teletype in UK/EU

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks the Teletype in the UK/EU - or is it a case of ordering direct from Monome?

The only store that sometimes has it in stock is Escape from noise. I just bought one used from the US, I had found a listing on llllllll.

1 Like

Thanks. I did check the Trade section of Lines but looks like they don’t go up for sale very often. I’ll email Escape from Noise.

I looked at this too and the only place I found was from monome direct:

https://market.monome.org

Of course this means importing it into the UK, so tax and duty will be payable, but now is an excellent time to purchase in US dollars as the exchange rate seems to have turned back in our favour.

I reckoned total cost about £430 including about £80 import duty and vat. You would end up paying this anyway even if you bought from the UK as the retailer would pay it and adjust prices accordingly.

p.s. this was a totally futile exercise, I have no funds for it hehe :cry:

1 Like

Good point @anon83620728. I think buying direct is the way to go.

I think I’m going to wait until my ER-301 has arrived and is integrated. Something will have to go for the Teletype to fit - and I’m not sure which modules will be redundant.

Cheers!

1 Like

Buy it now.
You can spend weeks only with that module. The ER-301 integration is an great goodie but only one of thousands possibilities.

4 Likes

I got mine yesterday. I found out that with jumper cables on the back I can control Ansible, Just Friends and the ER-301. And that’s even before patching. 100 trigger outs and 100 cv outs to the 301. This is incredible and amazing.
Is it difficult? Probably. The basics are not, and those alone will transform your system.

6 Likes

Can you tell me what kind of jumper cables you’re using @phonk? I know there have been a number of posts regarding this but I’m still not clear on the best kind and place to source 'em? Is there a particular termination type? ie a plug/part/description?

They are just normal female to female breadboard jumper cables. I had them lying around since the abortion of my arduino experiments. :smiley:

I think I had bought them from amazon (.it), 100 pieces for 5 euro, or something like that.

Just one tip. Before connecting them to the modules it’s better to tape the connectors together (or shrink-wrap them, as @bpcmusic does): when they are taped together they are stiffer and the same distance as the pins on the modules. Yay!

1 Like

Excellent, thank you. I think Amazon has just landed in AU, but at pinch I can get them shipped from OS. Yes, I saw @bpcmusic’s very tidy indeed, which made me want to be sure I got the correct ones.

1 Like

Things I have learnt in the last two days are:

• with the exception of the ER-301 all modules supporting the i2c bus have 2 rows of 3pins.
  • you don’t need to use both rows: you can use only one 3pin row for i2c communication to work.
  • you can use the other row on the teletype to connect to another module.
  • you can use another module with 2x3pin i2c connector as an i2c passthrough (i.e. if Just Friends is connected to Teletype with a 3pin jumper cable, you can connect another 3pin jumper cable to the second row of JF to one row of Ansible, and Teletype will communicate with Ansible too)
  • beware of orientation. the ER-301 has a different pinout; Ansible has the connector upside-down. Always read the legenda before connecting :slight_smile:

hope this helps

10 Likes

(Sigh). I’m this close to placing an order. The collective enthusiasm is getting the better of me.

Teletype was high on my list of must-have modules, even before I had heard of i2C and the potential to link to the 301. The idea of writing scripts to trigger events in eurorack appeals to me greatly.

That said, I have a few Teletype related questions which could save me approximately £450. I’d really appreciate any answers or comments.

1. Is the TT mostly about sequencing? (I already have an ER101/102 combo which I love.)
  2. Do I really need a Grid (and Ansible? or other ‘expander’?) to get the most out of the TT?
  3. Will I be able to get CVs from a Chain in the 301 and have those CVs come out of a TT CV output?
  4. Is it possible to have a condition in a TT script which is evaluated by examining the state of a Unit on the 301.
  5. Do you think it will ever be possible to execute a line of code on the TT and have a Unit (or even a Chain) be instantiated on the 301? Could this lead to scripts which algorithmically generate Chains on the 301.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Great questions… I would like to know the answers to these too!!

1 Like

No to all questions. :smiley:

3 Likes

This would sure be handy.

1 Like

TT could be described as an event based CV and gate/trigger generator, an event being either an external trigger or the internal timer (or a combination of both). this naturally lends itself well to sequencing, but it’s more than just that. you could script different actions for each event, so upon receiving trigger 1 it could generate a random voltage, on trigger 2 it could generate a series of 5 triggers etc etc.

there are so many different ways you could use this approach it’s hard to describe the kind of things you can do with it, but basically it comes down to being able to say “when this event happens i want to do this…” and execute this easily. it doesn’t have to be something complicated either, it works great for simple utilities too, say, you could use it as a trigger delay, or logic etc.

for sequencing there is also internal pattern memory (4 banks of up to 64 steps) with its own built in editor. the easiest way to sequence is just make it step through that using the metro (timer) script. but the power of teletype is that you can go all kinds of different ways from here. add a reset, or make it change direction upon receiving another trigger etc etc. i tried replicating a 303 sequencer yesterday, and doing something like “if the next note has glide enabled then don’t turn off the gate on this step” was very easy to set up.

no to both. TT existed for several years before expanders or grid integration were added. it’s just once you realize how powerful the concept is you want to find more ways to unleash that power, which is where they will be useful.

this is doable but will 1: require adding TT ops for that and 2: since TT is event based you can poll for values but you can’t have a script continuously update something (but you can get pretty close using polling in a very fast metro script).

not currently… i imagine this would require some consideration (how do you choose what to monitor, for instance?)

this indeed would be very powerful, but as above would require figuring out how this would work in practice. having a dedicated TT op for each unit wouldn’t be feasible, so how would you set various parameters, for instance? i think recalling a specific slot with a TT command would be a good usable workaround though.

2 Likes

i’ll try to answer based on my “scratching on the surface” - experience

1. Is the TT mostly about sequencing? (I already have an ER101/102 combo which I love.)
No, there so many possibilities and ways to control CV and Triggers. Like e.g Probability, Math/logical operations , timing constrains, dependencies of CV (intern/or external).
You can create in 2-3 lines a comparator with a adjustable window, or sample and hold based on probability. Or a Bernoulli gate like mutable Branches. Slew or transposing CV, Teletype can do it. Clock divider /multiplier voliá even this is possible. And much more … , I forgot the Sequencers :slight_smile:

2. Do I really need a Grid (and Ansible? or other ‘expander’?) to get the most out of the TT?
no, everything can be controlled by the Trigger/CV Inputs the Param. Knob or the Internal Master Clock (which can be divided in order to get other clocks)
The Expanders are a great. They provide 4 additional Trigger and CV out (TXo) and 4 additional CV-Ins + Param knobs. (TXi) The expanders provides you additional function like envelopes and oscillators

3. Will I be able to get CVs from a Chain in the 301 and have those CVs come out of a TT CV output?
I don’t think so, because at the moment the ER-301 works in Slavemode. But see what’s comming.

4. Is it possible to have a condition in a TT script which is evaluated by examining the state of a Unit on the 301
no
5. Do you think it will ever be possible to execute a line of code on the TT and have a Unit (or even a Chain) be instantiated on the 301? Could this lead to scripts which algorithmically generate Chains on the 301.
no

1 Like

:crazy_face:

Can I run two Teletype at the same time?

:rofl:

1 Like

Yes to both.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m going to place my order!

2 Likes