Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Card Player

The last few 0.2 firmware updates have been around stabilizing the Card Player unit.

What this means to me: People must be using the card player unit a lot more than I am!

So my question: What are you using it for? It’s not that I have no ideas for good uses of it. Is just that I’d like to hear yours. :slight_smile:

Nothing exciting over here, just more of a practical thing. I have these long cloudy patches I made from my really long modular sound design sessions. Now I can just play them in the background in a freewheeling way. So that saves from using up the pool.

I’m a Radio Music fan - it’s here to stay, so the card player doesn’t get a look in in my patches on the ER-301.

However, the way I use it is to be able to access long audio files and trigger small sections of them by modulating the start point and then send the output to the Tyme Sefari/Sound of Thunder - my other sample recorder that I consider to be the total antithesis to the ER-301. It’s nasty, gritty and broken… I love it!

Sure you could probably recreate similar textures and degradations in the ER-301, but it would take some patching and actually the full functionality is not there, would need start and end pointers to loop between and the ability to turn looping off and back on again. A few circuit bending algorithms and it would take up all the patch points on the ER-301 too!

Here’s something interesting. Since the speed goes really low, if you load up an audio file, and set speed in the 0.001 to 0.010 range, seems to be a good source of randomness. Not like noise–>S&H though. Not stepped. More like a continuous random LFO.

In my case I put it into a Limiter unit and pumped the pre-gain until I got the desired signal level. The video was speed @ 0.008, so it can be slowed down quite a bit more. :slight_smile:

That’s cool - nice idea!!

Often used audio to modulate at, erm… audio rate heh, but slowing it right down like that is a new one for me - thanks!!!

:smiley_cat:

Same here. Just stumbled across it moments before posting.

“What’s your modulation source?”

“Grateful Dead at the Filmore East, 1969. In super-slow motion.” :rainbow:

Brilliant… I’d include the time segment in there for additional geek points :nerd:

Noob question:
Whats the difference between the Card player and the Sample Player despite the controls.
Is there a limit of samples played simultaneously from the card or such? I work a lot with
multitracked samples and drones which i like to integrate in one of the channels on my recently
bought ER-301.

The sample player actually has to load the sample file into RAM, and gives a lot more control (slicing, re-pitching, playback speed, etc.)

The card player plays directly from the SD card and has very few controls. But the samples don’t take up an RAM, and I assume it is more CPU friendly.

Not sure what the concurrency limit is for files played back from SD. I’d say it very likely depends on the performance characteristics of the SD card itself, as they aren’t all equal.

Thanks Joe,
so the bottle neck would be the card - sounds reasonable.
well i guess i will find out sooner or later :slight_smile:

Just an educated guess. We know that the 6 track recorder can record six simultaneous mono signals to the SD card at once. So I assume it can play back at least 6 or more since read is usually faster than write. When people have had trouble with the 6 track recorder, it has been due to card related issues, and the fix has been reformatting the card or buying one with better specs.

would be a huge step from my 4 track looper to 6+ tracks.

i just ran a small test. had 10 loops (all mono / 44100-16 / 30-70 sec.) played from my card (sandisk ultra). which went fine. i couldn’t notice any drop outs, but the loops made a big brew of noise anyway :heart_eyes:.

when i can run 8 loops simultaneous with a CPU load of 10% i still have plenty of head room for other chain units.

That’s sweet!