Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Change file for multiple raw players at once

Hi,
I have a drum machine set up where multiple raw players are set up in a sort of round-robin thing. They are all pointed to the same single audio file for a particular kit and I trigger all the sounds with a sequencer. Works great.

Now I have several other kits built. Is there are way to swith the audio file that all the players are reading from at once? Maybe the players can be reading from sample in a pool that is set by a global chain or something? Right now I have the players each individually reading from the file directly and so I need to go in to each player one at a time and that doesn’t work for this.

Have you tried using the replace command in the Sample Pool?

1 Like

I have not, and I’m not even sure what that is haha. I don’t see anything about that when searching the wiki for “sample pool”, though I probably missed it. Can you point me in the right direction? I also realized that I could replace the whole mixer that contains all the players with a mixer that is specific to each kit, but that seems like a lot of work to set up.

In the admin > Sample Pool, highlight the sample that you want to replace and press M5 (replace).

2 Likes

THanks Brian! I’ll check it out!

Hi Brian,
So swapping the samples like that works, but it doesn’t maintain the slice information. These samples are all the same length and they all slice 12 times equally. Is there any way to maintain the slicing when I swap-or is there another workaround that you can think of? Thanks!

Afaik, slice Info is bound to the Samples. If you slice up All waves you Plan to use beforehand, replacing should load that bound slice Info, too. I am not near my 301, so i can’t check really myself…

That is correct. Slices are always associated with the sample. One quick workaround is to just copy the slice data (*.slc) and rename it. So if you have:

pathA/sound1.wav
pathA/sound1.slc
pathB/sound2.wav

Then you can copy sound1’s slices to sound2 by copying the sound1.slc file to the same folder as sound2 and then renaming:

(After copying)

pathA/sound1.wav
pathA/sound1.slc
pathB/sound2.wav
pathB/Copy of sound1.slc

(After renaming)

pathA/sound1.wav
pathA/sound1.slc
pathB/sound2.wav
pathB/sound2.slc

Well, if slice data is saved with the sample then swapping the sample would bring in the new slice data? If so, that’s fine, but for some reason that’s not what’s happening for me-bringing in the new sample is losing it’s slice data. Is there something I need to do after slicing a sample to save the data so it will be there when loaded again?

PS: super awesome to hear that slice data works-this will work great when I get it up and running! Swapping the samples works great.

Hmm. This might be a little confusing in this context but slice data is not saved until you actually do a save whether that be saving a unit/chain preset or doing a quicksave. So make sure you do a save after you edit slices so that your new slices are written to the SD card.

So that worked absolutely perfectly. I just popped the SD card in my laptop and did the duplicates there. Works perfectly swapping kits now…

…so now is a sort of pie in the sky request-when you replace the sample it tells you there how many units it is being replaced in (In my case it’s four RAW players). It would be AMAZING if you could tell it to just swap two of the players and then you could swap two more. That way the transition would be a lot more seamless-the drums (in my case) would keep playing as the kit slowly changes.

I understand that’s a really esoteric request, but I figured I’d throw it out there!

1 Like

I’m not sure if this will fit your workflow, but what I do is create long sample chains with slices and use an Intellijel Quadratt to scan through different slices (in effect changing the kit). It takes a bit of prep work in a DAW, but I’m really happy with the results. I can also modulate the slice select with something besides the Quadratt to give more variety. If you’re already using the the slice select with your sequencer, you can assign any mod source to a VCA following the slice select input and it should function the same way (afaik).

3 Likes

Nice method! I’ll have to decide if I want to go that route. I could set up an offset in my Lemur template and assign different kits to different buttons that would just trigger the offset…hmm…

2 Likes