Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Custom Unit: Mueller v3.16 (concept for use with Addac Manual Latches)

custom-unit

‘Mueller’ is a concept derived from Herr Müller, a former assistant of Stockhausen.
(https://youtu.be/a-E7Y6EnEsU)
It is based on three loopers and a Manual Grains.

There is a main buffer, a manual grains that plays this same buffer, a looper where you can sample incoming clocks to fire the manual grains unit and a looper at the end of the chain capturing your movements and create layers.

The unit is in a concept phase and for now is designed to work with Addac manual Latches ( using Joe’s Gate2trig unit to give visual feedback on the several Punch controls. )
I’m not quite sure if the buffers are contained within this file, if not please let me know.( this is my first share : )

It’s designed as a stereo chain, I’m using it on channel 3&4 ( hence the default input to be output 1&2, I have a 6 channel mixer unit on ch 1&2 containing several signals coming from my modular ).
If you wish to change the inputs, dive into the unit and set your inputs in the Dry mixer chain as well as the Wet mixer chain )

Ideas and improvements are always welcome.

Controls:

• Reset —> this resets the trigger Looper that fires Manual Grains

• P Main —> This is the punch control for the main Sample buffer

• Fb Main —> controls the amount of feedback into the main sample buffer

• Tr —> This contains the trigger sampler which will fire the manual grains

• P Tr —> This is the Punch control for the Trigger sampler

• Fb Tr —> Controls the amount of feedback in the trigger sampler ( layering can amount to strange pulses )

• Voct —> Controls the pitch on the Manual grains

• St —> Controls the start point on the manual Grains unit

• Dec —> Controls the decay parameter on the Manual Grains

• Pan —> Controls the panning parameter on the Manual Grains

• Reset Loop —> This controls the reset parameter on the End of Chain Looper

• P Loop —> This is the Punch control for the End of Chain Looper

• Fb Loop —> This controls the amount of feedback in the End of chain Looper

• Wet —> This controls the wet amount in the end of chain looper

Watch out for the fb controls, I’ve experienced that reducing this gives cleaner results. ( start out slow I guess )

Please let me know if it works :slight_smile:

UPDATE: Gate2trig units have been removed due to enhanced manual loopers Latching on/off option.

Mueller v3.16.lua (45.6 KB)

15 Likes

Sounds really interesting! Will give it a try out tonight :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, let me know!

0 Likes

love this idea. gonna try it soon as well!

1 Like

thanks for sharing this! do you have a video or audio of this unit being used in practice? would like to see/hear how you use it.

1 Like

thank you, I’ll try to record some stuff.

0 Likes

Thanks for that link @Julian_Edwardes (and of course the custom unit) I had not seen that clip for years and it’s a classic!

1 Like

Müller or not: I like the name!
:grin::facepunch::clap:

2 Likes

I like the name as well, of course I might be a bit biased. :grin:

1 Like

Here’s a video of me noodling with this unit, there are good and less good parts :slight_smile: but hopefully you’ll get the idea. ( tuning seems a bit off now and then…I hate it when that happens :slight_smile:

Like mentioned I’m using it with Addac manual Latches and in this case a monome arc controlling the start position and decay parameter on the manual grains. QuNexus is used to play the manual grains Voct

8 Likes

UPDATE: Gate2trig units have been removed due to enhanced manual loopers Latching on/off option.

0 Likes

This seems like a really interesting process.

I loaded the unit and setup the inputs, but can’t figure out how it is meant to work. I understand the gist of the process from the video.

Could you explain how to approach the different elements of using this? Is there an order to punch into each looper? What types of inputs are meant to go where?

Thanks!

0 Likes

Hey, set your audio input in the dry and wet mixers within the custom unit. Set your incoming gate, in the Tr control. All Punch controls are active as long as the gates are high, if you keep it running the buffers will be filled and you will start hearing results.
Main contains the buffer which captures the incoming audio, a manual grains is sharing this buffer so you’re able to play it. The trigger sampler, which records your incoming gates, will fire the Manual Grains. The End of chain Looper will capture your movements.

Perhaps this will explain the relationship between controls:

8 Likes

Thank you! This is perfect. I’m going to try it out again today.

0 Likes

Hello all, curious has there been any new development with the mueller?

Looking forward to trying it:)

0 Likes

I am currently using it in a quicksave setup, using all channels and global chains. If you wish I can share the quicksave?

1 Like

would this work in v.04, or would we have to tweek anything? Thanks. Awesome idea for a unit btw! Also, were you using Arc via Ansible for the other controls?

0 Likes

I’ve built a version for the latest firmware as well as a quicksave which has another approach. I’ ll make these available soon

7 Likes

please do!

1 Like

Also looking forward to this!

0 Likes