Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Differences between recorders/samplers

I realize that there is documentation of the parameters for all 3 of the recorders, and that there is an intro on the dub looper. I also see that these recorders are listed under the “recording” area of the wiki. That being said, it would be very useful to users if someone could post up a basic summary of each of these in the description fields so that it is more clear why you would want to use one or another.

Is this possible?

1 Like

I should mention that I’m happy to do the editing, I would just need to pull it out of a discussion here. Although I find the sample players more intuitive it might also help to have that discussion here as well, so I’m changing the title of this thread.

0 Likes

It’s a good question, and I’d also like to hear from those that use all of them a lot. Obviously the pedal looper is pretty different in that it has dynamic buffer size determined by the first recording, some real time controls for undo last, clearing the buffer, etc.

I don’t know that I could tell you the difference between the dub and feedback looper anymore. One (I think the feedback looper) replaced the other initially, and it was brought back by popular demand but I don’t remember the distinction.

0 Likes

This ends up getting buried in the various discussions. Since the documentation is intended to be community-based, I think it makes sense to clarify these details and edit the wiki collectively. @odevices told me at some point that there are specific guidelines to adhere to, so I would need to look into that.

But I consider the recorders and samplers to be core functionality that is what I bought the module for, ultimately (I might be alone, but I don’t think so). I know that a lot of other units and generators are just as exciting, but I think recording and playing back sound are highest on my priority list.

Brian, can you clarify these differences? I would be happy to take a stab at some writing.

0 Likes

They are very similar and only differ in how they mix the input signal with the existing buffer contents to yield the new buffer contents.

So I’ve updated the description sections of both units in the wiki to describe exactly how the mixing is done.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Feedback_Looper

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Dub_Looper

Let me know if this does not answer your question.

5 Likes

just to derail this a tiny little bit…a question for @odevices:
i know that pedal looper handles his buffer in a dynamic way, but is there any chance that we can see that buffer in the sample pool and be able to tap it from other units in the future? thanks!

4 Likes

1 Like

I’m not ready to answer that yet :sweat_smile: but the request is noted.

1 Like