Discuss MIDI for ER-301 here

Thanks for your input @scanner_darkly ! I will definitely check the #enigmamidi project out.

I am also waiting on my 16n faderbank (as @sakul), so your firmware mod would definitely be warmly welcomed.

1 Like

This is cool!

Could this work with a usb port instead? I am thinking of things like the QuNexus from KMI; one of the reasons I got fed up with midi with modular is that there is a bottleneck between the many midi options and the limitations of the number of CV outs into modular - things like Yarns / Shuttle Control / FH-* are all great SC was my favourite with 16 outs. So the idea of having enough midi to CV, or should I say i2c, channels into the ER-301 to cover all the controls with the QuNexus is very appealing!

Edit - I am sorry, I meant the QuNeo - the pad controller not the keyboard!

From the tech specs:

• 16 pads with velocity, pressure, and location (X/Y) sensitivity
• 8 pressure-sensitive touch sliders
• 1 long pressure-sensitive multi-touch slider
• 2 pressure-sensitive rotary encoders
• 17 pressure-sensitive buttons

That’s very interesting, curiously I ordered a couple of Teensy 3.6 boards this morning!

Is it just me, or would this be really good to use with the ER-301 in this way?

3 Likes

I see… had to upgrade my Arduino environment, haven’t used it in an age, installed Teensyduino and found the example - that is very simple indeed! Almost too simple :slight_smile:

What code are you using to output the i2c?

Is that just the 3 wires connected directly to the ER-301?

Am I right in thinking that basically the usb port on the Teesny 3.6 will plug directly into the QuNeo? Oh, what about power - how does that work in this scenario? There’s a lot of LEDs on the QuNeo.

Sorry, if I am asking too many questions - I am curious about how much work this will actually, at the moment it seems so straightforward it’s almost laughable!

Found the answer to power:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/external_power.html

possibly… maybe just easier to use a powered usb hub.

Excellent, all makes sense on some level, although I will definitely have to check details, thank you for sharing!!

Most inspiring :slight_smile:

I built two powerful midi sequencers running on Norns, I would love to use the faderbank as a midi to I2c bridge and make them communicate with the ER-301. That would be awesome, a “game changer”. If you start a Patreon or something, I’d be glad to participate.

i should be able to post a mod for faderbank firmware on monday. how do you connect it to norns, via usb? i was told faderbank minijack midi only works as midi out, so it has to be over usb.

1 Like

Yes, it’s connected via USB. I don’t own a real Norns, it’s just a Raspberry Pi, all the devices are connected to a an Iconnnectmidi4+ via usb and communicate each other through this interface

Wauw!! Cant wait till i get my 16n to try it out.! Should be here soon

Some “general purpose” CC’s (say channel X cc’s 14-37 or even 9-32) would be really sweet. I’d like to use CC’s more than note info.

added simple polyphonic implementation for faderbank to convert MIDI to ER-301 I2C, details here.

4 Likes

I finally got around to setting up a Teensy with a MIDI input circuit on a breadboard and wrote my own simple MIDI to I2C converter.

I triggered a sample player using an SC.TR unit, and recorded the output along with the trigger signal as well as the driving MIDI signal (DC-coupled inputs FTW), and loaded them into a multitrack Audition session so I could see what the relative delays are:

There’s only about 1ms before the start of the MIDI message and the trigger going high, which is close to minimal given the time it takes to transmit a note-on. I’d have to bust out the logic analyzer to see the true relationship between the MIDI input and the I2C output, but the conversion delay is only a fraction of a millisecond so I’m not too worried about it.

I’m most interested in using MIDI to trigger sample slices (where tight coupling between the trigger and selection CV is important), so I’m not worried about coping with a lot of modulation. So far I’m very happy with the results.

7 Likes

I just figured today that axoloti was the (dust collecting) missing link for me for midi to er301: since it’s an usb host I can connect my faderbank. then with scanner darklys ttmidi branch and a simple midi thru object on the axoloti = din midi to er301 without using to front panel inputs :slight_smile:
(I gotta say it’s amazing what the axoloti is capable of at a ridiculous price…)

2 Likes

Could you share your axo patch! :heart_eyes:
And tell me how you connected it!

edit: sorry didn’t read properly, i get that you use usb midi with 16n :slight_smile:

Might have to get an 16n after all… hehe

The «patch» is really just a tb/midi thru object from the (preinstalled) user library!

For completeness:
16n has been flashed with scanner darklys ttmidi2 branch (git clone his repo and git checkout ttmidi2) with master mode and er301 midi config flags and polyphony 8 (not really needed, that many🤔) . Its usb is connected to the axo which has simply said midi thru object with routing din midi to usb1 settings. Then 16n i2c trs cable into txb which is connected to er301. Pull ups only on the 16n. Oh and I also use an expressive-e usb cable, which I had lying around, in between 16n and axo to power it seperately, not sure if this is needed or not tbh (maybe better for the cv outs on the unit?)

2 Likes

Hey @sakul - Have you experienced any jitter in your midi signal?

I have described my problem here (with video example): 16n Faderbank: build help, dev suggestions - #312 by Simontl - General - lines

I must admit I just triggered some samples, so nowhere as much exactness needed as in your use case, but I think I too encountered some funkiness with missing triggers.
since then I didn’t manage to check back :see_no_evil: :sob:

your documentation in that lines thread is great, thanks!

btw: dev=1 changing something might indicate that the midi logic is using too much (teensy-) resources, since the dev flag just limits everything to fader1 for debugging purposes (well I saw some mixture with the channel count and midi channels in at least one of the midi branches).

I guess you don’t have the michigan with switchable pullups… I do and needed to limit some functionality to even fit ram (its teensy LC is reduced and the midi fork adds a lot of realtime processing). so that could indicate some lack of headroom in my setup, but IIRC I got that down to comparable figures first by limiting midi channels.

I need to get into this again and run more tests also with midi notes…

Hey all, Im a bit confused here. I just ordered an ER-301 so that is on the way, but I want to use the faderbank 16n on the ER-301. Do I just plug it in with a TRS chord from the 16n to a port in the front of the ER-301? If so does a TRRS cable work? If I cant plug in, how might I?