Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Do you screw all of your modules in?

Well if you don’t screw them in and this happens while your case is powered on:

then with high probability you have either destroyed the module or damaged it in such a way that it will fail mysteriously within the next 10 or 20 times that you turn on your case.

Here is another question. Should a warranty cover this?

I don’t think warranty should cover this. Maybe a disclaimer of sorts could alleviate any complaints about it if/when this happens to someone.

(I haven’t always screwed them in right away but I will after this!)

Q1: Over 400 Knurlies keep them safe.
Q2: Nope. User responsibility has to start somewhere.

OT: Knurlies FTW.

Knurlies are great. Thank you to BEFACO for creating them :wink:

I think this falls into inappropriate use (or whatever the correct term is in english) and I would never expect warranty to cover resulting damages.

I’d also be too embarrassed to even ask the manufacturer for warranty if this happened to me.

What others have said! :+1:

wow what! Phew… I’m glad its only a simulation!

1. yes

2. No way. If euro manufacturers had to cover for users doing stupid things with cases and the wild west of standards and power… the entire industry would have collapsed!

If I’m unsure of position ill put in at least 1 or 2 screws, Just something to hold it in place. Honestly, if this happened on my primary power… that would be 30k+ ma on the + shorting… i’d need a slo-mo cam to capture such an an explosion and my resulting death!!

Zabriskie Point - Eurorack Edition.

And special thanks for announcing that the next batch will be M2.5 mm Knurlies, so I can finally buy some for my submodularsystems cases.

Ouch… that’s gotta hurt!

:cry:

I am curious though, what exactly is happening when the unit fails in this way? I guess it’s from a short somewhere, but I can’t quite imagine how it would happen, are there any further details?

Especially the bit about it mysteriously failing at a later point - that is most intriguing!

Yes, I always screw them in. I work too hard for my $ to not take the best care of these things that I’m able. No, I wouldn’t expect warranty to cover that.

Actually I would not have guessed the above simulation was what might have happened though. My prediction is that I’d forget it wasn’t screwed in, go to remove a patch cable, and end up pulling the whole unit out of the case and damaging the power connector.

I always screw everything in. This type of thing is completely on the end user.

It will depend on the module and bus boards of course, but in the example above I’ve confirmed that you will get all 3 of your bus board’s power rails shorting through the electrolytic capacitor housings protruding from the back of the ER-301. Basically, your bus board is a bristling forest of pins with live voltages and lots of current ready to ruthlessly flow into any part of a circuit board that happens to fall on them.

Most things in life are worn down gradually and then finally fail due to what should be a typical and easily handled amount of stress (the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back). I find that big catastrophic failures that are clearly connected to a single cause are the exception rather than the rule. For example, ESD is well known for dramatically reducing the life span of components without causing immediate failure. Typically, unless a component is specifically designed to fail dramatically when its specifications are exceeded (like a fuse or some types of diodes), they just degrade (especially capacitors and mosfets) until the circuit that is relying on their performance no longer works.

Seriously! Knurlies for life yo!

But to answer the question: nope. Not something to cover under warranty. These are electronics and the onus is on the user to be aware of the way to handle and use them. There might be a case here and there but that is subjectively up to you.

I do sort of feel bad for whoever this happened to though. I’m sure whoever it was didn’t really envision this being the outcome of not screwing the module down.

I’d expect that it happens more than we think. Imagine being excited about getting a new module, quickly plugging it in and turning on your case without screwing it down (because you haven’t decided where to put it yet). You proceed to patch a few cables into it, turn a few knobs, and then without thinking you pull on a patch cable to unplug, forgetting that the module is not screwed in. It slides off the rails and down it goes. All of sudden your entire case has rebooted and one module is not coming back…:exploding_head:

Yes, and I mean if the consequence of this was no cost and just flipping a breaker I’d understand. But because this cost money to repair and it is something the customer does versus you, I just can’t see making it standard practice to cover under a warranty. Individual situations maybe, but in general no.

Then again pinning this thread and the discussion it generates might keep this from occuring so often such that you could cover it under the warranty.

Still, even then I don’t think it is a good idea.

Yes I screw them in with at least one top and bottom if I’m working with it where I need to remove it frequently for some reason (updating firmware from a rear connection such as on the Stillson Hammer).

No I wouldn’t expect warranty coverage for my mistake. By the time one gets to the point of buying modules with these kind of costs they should have a clear understanding of their actions.

Likewise, taking out modules while the rig is turned on would also be reason to disqualify a warranty in my book.