Does i2c allow for additonal I/O on the ER-301?

I see a lot of mention of Teletype, Sweet Sixteen/16n, and various other devices with i2c headers being used to communicate and control the 301 (super cool btw), and am wondering if it is possible to use the I/O ports on those devices as additional I/O for the 301?

I also saw a post over on KVR where someone was asking about connecting a Disting EX to the 301, has anyone made any headway on that? I wish I was skilled enough to do things like this, but alas I am not a programmer and my EE knowledge is mediocre at best.

1 Like

It allows for additional CV and trigger/gate inputs only. ER-301 cannot output anything on i2c. So for example I have my teletype connected via i2c and I pass most of the CV and gates that way instead of consuming teletype outputs and ER-301 inputs.

I do make physical connections between the two devices using teletype outs and ER-301 inputs to pass constant-time portamento, as ER-301 handles slewing differently than teletype.

1 Like

Gotcha, that’s good to hear, at least one can have even more CV control over internal 301 processes :slight_smile: In reality I think CV/Trigger inputs are probably more needed than outputs would be anyway :slight_smile: Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I had a similar question, specifically with the Sweet Sixteen. I understand that the i2c connection happens underneath/on the backside of the 301 and the faders can be assigned, but then the Sweet Sixteen still has the physical 16 CV in/16 CV out on the right side of the faders. If connected to the 301 via i2c are those i/o inoperable? Or would the fader (that is routed via i2c controlling something in the 301) simultaneously act as a voltage source via patch cables that could be patched externally or maybe back into the the physical inputs of the 301 to control something else at the same time?

If I understand correctly: The sweet sixteen i/o stay functional while simultaneously controlling the er-301 via i2c. For instance you set fader 1 to control a vca using i2c (this is done with the SC.CV unit set to channel 1 inside the er-301, this channel can be reused multiple times on whatever you want to control in the er-301) The INPUT port of fader 1 from the front side of the sweet sixteen can still receive cv and will control the same units you assigned with i2c, the fader then acts as an attenuator or offset. The OUT port of fader 1 can still be patched out to your system and will send the voltage of the faders position, it also relays any CV you patched into the fader 1 INPUT and the fader acts as an attenuator/offset.

1 Like

Thank you! You understood perfectly. I didn’t consider that the inputs could receive CV that would then modulate through the i2c assignment, and the fader would attenuate…I was imagining that the faders via i2c only raised or lowered a value, not attenuating an incoming CV. I’m understanding how valuable the Sweet Sixteen could be now, adding 16 CV INs that can simultaneously route modulation into ER-301 as well as out to the system.

1 Like

To be clear, you cannot send audio rate signals in to the S16 and receive them in the ER-301. Well, actually you can, but it sounds absolutely awful (like a really low sample rate, and I think even with non audio rate you will have artifacts)