Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Downward + Downward Beats

hello 301ers!
new double feature of custom units inspired by mixtur trautonium\subharmonicon & such… both are based on frequency dividers but one is an oscillator, the other a weird but cool rhythm generator.
everything is free to use with absolutely no limitations but as usual if you really really like them and would like to make a microdonation you can paypal me some change at hyena666@gmail.com
cheers!

Downward
Downard has a sine oscillator and 5 frequency divided square subharmonics.
controls

• tune 1v/oct control of pitch
  • sine level control for the main sine oscillator
  • /2 to /6 level control for the 5 square subharmonics
  • lvl main output level
    cpu about 12%
    requires nothing
    tips you can insert an adsr envelope inside the lvl subchain to obtain a full voice. experiment with filters and for extra organic sound try an exact convolution with a very small IR (cello body or similar stuff, the internet is full of cool IR)
    Downward.unit (33.5 KB)

Downward Beats
The Beats version is a sequencer thougth for driving percussive instruments\samplers\drums\oneshots, but actually spits out stepped cv signals like a normal sequencer. Just insert it in the Gate subchain of a Sampler or use it on a global chain to trigger multiple events on your chains, or…use it to control pitch of oscillators or samplers, filter’s cutoff or whatever you want to modulate!
controls

• clock insert your clock source here entering the clock subchain
  • int clk toggle button to activate an internal sine oscillator acting as embedded clock. when engaged it disables the external one and vice versa
  • f frequency of the internal clock in hertz.
  • main level of the main beat generator (same freq as clock)
  • /2 to /6 levels of the subdivisions of clock
  • scale this is an attenuator for the mixed gate signal. you can also use it to invert the phase of the gates.
  • offset a simple offset to fine tune the response of the gates.
    cpu about 17-20%
    requires Accents
    tips use scale and offset while you watch the custom unit display to “center” your gates and fine tune the results, keep in mind that the various subdivisions add up together, so it’s almost always necessary to tweak a bit the scale\offset parameter to get good triggering of your drums\percussions. Experiment with one of them at a time to get the feeling then start mixing just two of them and notice how they interact with one another, then go complex! a lot of lovely riddims are waiting for you!
    if you want to use it as pitch sequencer, keep in mind that the output is not quantized, so you better put a Scale Quantizer unit after it!
    Downward beats.unit (58.8 KB)
9 Likes

Hi Giona
then suggest to put one for each GATE present on a sample player (for example)?

This is a simple test

Thanks, emiliano

1 Like

yes, you can use one single downward beats for each sample you have to trigger! of course if you have to trigger more than one its a bit cpu intensive…but if you make a patch with just sample players and downwards i think you can fairly manage three. i’ll give it a try and report how many can i load before maxxing out the cpu!
EDIT: just checked! 1 mono chain, three mono mix units each with one sample player triggered by a Downward Beats, all clocked by external clock put in a global chain = 76% cpu! i don’t think you’ll be able to use more than three but the result is very very cool! nice polyrhythms! i loaded 2 taiko samples and a metal sheet sample i recorded some years ago, sounds very nice! i have even some spare cpu to add a reverb or a delay!
EDIT 2: i’m so stupid…i just realized i didn’t say it in fact generates stepped cv’s, not really gates (because it mixes various low frequency square waves at different amplitudes) so it can be fully used as CV sequencer too! gonna update the documentation!

1 Like

in this test three downward beats are triggering AND sequencing pitch of three different percussion sounds in stereo. cpu=about 80%

2 Likes