Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Dream Looper Setup

Hi all!
I’m quite new to the ER-301 but I feel that this unit has the potential to make all my processing dreams come true. I have the following looper in mind, maybe you can give me hints to start, or have already built something similar:

I want to be able to dial in a loop length in bars or clock beats, depending on an external clock signal (gate or trigger).
Two independent loopers record & play all the time. When I trigger a switch, the roles of the loopers are switched at the end of the loop. So let’s say I have looper 1 recording external audio and looper 2 playing, then I trigger the switch, and when the loops are at the end of the current loop, the first one plays what it just recorded, and the second one starts recording.

This is the basis of all my current ideas about looping.
By the way, I will feed acoustic piano in the loops and will alter the loops while playing. Some kind of inspirational feedback loop…

Any help would be appreciated!

Best,
Marc

I think you could have two independent loopers always overdubbing. do a sequential switch between signal and silence based on a gate into one and another sequential switch based on signal and silence controlled by an inversion of the others gate. I’m not entirely sure how you’d set this up in the er-301 but I’m pretty sure all those pieces are in there as built in units.

I think the idea is really cool. Also could be cool to add things after the loopers like panning/ping-pong delays

In a Feedback or Dub Looper, trigger the reset with an external clock signal, and then use a Counter to set the number of beats from the clock that you want to reset after. So like if you want a two measure loop, have the start value be 0, step 1, finish 7. Just make sure the looper’s buffer is long enough to cover all the possible loop lengths you think you might need.

Thanks you two. As I am quite new, I am still learning, but yesterday I managed to set up a single feedback looper from scratch (took me a while) and then assign a counter with my clock signal to the reset. All this worked like a charm and shows me how easily everything else will become reality.

Hoping to hear some audio and learn about your process, sounds very nice described like this! :ok_hand:

I will post some video as soon as I have this working. This may take a while, as I need to learn more and dive in deeper to make it happen…

:+1: fantastic!

Waiting until the end of a loop after receiving a trigger is the part that’s probably going to require a little head scratching. I bet it can be done, but exactly how isn’t coming to me right away.

You should be able to do this with a Quantize to Clock and Counter.

Map the looper’s Punch to the footswitch trigger in. Follow it with a Quantize to Clock. Then map the quantize to clock’s input to your clock signal. Follow that with a counter that counts to 7 (for 8 beats).

This should quantize the input trigger to wait until the end of the loop to send the actual signal to disengage Punch on the looper.

So, some combination of all of that should be enough to get one looper to stop and another to start at the same time. I think. I don’t know. Try that out @TheMM

Okay, the Quantize to Clock hint was really helpful. I got it working for one looper with the hints you provided.

Basically I built a global chain which holds my clock, utilizing a Tap Tempo unit. I can use the div setting to choose, how long my “bars” should be, depending on the clock input or a tapped tempo:

This global clock triggers the reset of a feedback looper unit. It is also the clock used for the punch, but only when I triggered it with an external footswitch, which works nicely with the Quantize to Clock unit:

But now I am scratching my head over how to inverse punch the second feedback looper unit. I need to make sure, that the second looper records, when the first does not and vice versa.

Any hints how to build this behavior? Thanks for your help guys, this forum is one of the nicest on the planet. :slight_smile:

bipolar VCA’s can be used to invert a control signal ! set it to -1 and you have your control inverted.

Hmmmm, but the punch is a simple trigger, and an inverted trigger is still a trigger. Or am I too dumb to see the solution?

punch can be set as gate in at least one of the loopers (latch mode off) iirc

Yay, that was the missing link. I think I have understood the basic logic and built two loopers, where one is always recording and the other one is idling plus I have two sample players that play one of the two recorded loops depending on the recording looper state. Now I need to put all this together in one large unit and think of more modulation/triggering options to play this beast in a way that works musically - and not only technically.
Thanks so far!

Sounds like a terrific idea.
I’m just beginning to grapple with the looper and would love to see what you come up with.

Please feel free to share :wink:

cant wait to try your custom unit!! really fascinating idea!

As I will release this in a freely available custom unit i made a dedicated thread for it here:

Download of the first early alpha is available for immediate download. :wink: