Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Dreams for V0.3

request

+1 on the latency, dont have any percussion in my rack so was going to use the 301 for drum samples synced to my machinedrum.

Really looking forward of getting mine anyway, probably wont notice the 5ms hehe, but maybe, just a bit bummed because i switched to hardware because i got to many latency issues with my pc.

well i guess theres plenty of usese for the 301 in any case :slight_smile:

5ms isn’t really that bad. Especially considering that it’s usually not the latency itself, but JITTER in the latency that makes timing feel wonky.

Additionally, what you see on your DAW’s latency compensation as the latency might not actually be the actual latency, which is often a bit higher. So you might consider 6ms to be a really horrible latency, except that it’s not actually 6ms you’re hearing, it’s much more.

For added perspective, it takes roughly 2.7ms for sound to travel 3 feet.

Ty for clearing things up

No worries – and of course, what I said isn’t all there is to it, at all. Latency is always best kept at a minimum :slight_smile: But it might be less of an issue than what it seems like, at least to me.

I totally agree, I wouldn’t worry too much about the latency @mah, in most circumstances it’s not an issue, especially if the ER-301 is your only source of drum sounds as @iPassenger says.

I use mine in 48KHz and don’t find it a problem, I could make it happen but I’d have to find sounds that were the right type and try and match them to something with a faster response rate outside the ER-301 to create the circumstances in which it would be noticeable.

The style of music you’re making will also have a large impact.

Any time I find anything not sitting right I adjust elsewhere. For example the Stillson Hammer is perfect for this kind of timing play, if you want a shuffled hi hat that sits late for a bit of a groove you could just apply a little less delay. I never work anything like this out, just push and pull everything until it sounds right.

Hopefully it will improve as time goes on anyway :slight_smile:

Nope not at all. Consider the speed of MIDI and triggering drum machines. It’s probably in around this same number or just a hair lower.

This Nord G2 doc blew my mind - I’d never heard about this functionality, that’s sick!

I can’t believe they haven’t come out with a G3… especially with modular where it’s at right now. Instead they’ve settled with rehashes of the same old organ / EP combo… sigh

I read somewhere the amount of work put into g2 almost finished the company. They didn’t get the sales. So they went back to the regular stuff.

Not to beat this horse but because I believe this is really important, the er-301 is headed in the direction you’d like. The SSP is full on and full force in that direction. If you are serious about a g3 you really should check out the SSP.

2d

Not that I’m anti the direction the 301 is going but I honestly don’t feel that impelled to create huge complex patches from base units. Love the 301 workflow but just doesn’t have the freedom of a proper visual interface like Nord modular, PD, Msp etc etc. Im not apposed to downloading others lovely creations though :slight_smile:

I guess it’s never going to completely suit everyone @Liquidyzer

Personally I find it more accessible than the computer equivalents you mention, mostly because it means I am not at my computer and not using a mouse. I love that it’s very similar to physical patching and that I can have as many instances of a unit as I like, it’s a lot of freedom.

Anyway, perhaps you’re just a little early, I imagine that once the SDK is available there will eventually be a lot more self contained units that provide the functionality you’re looking for.

It works fine as it is and I don’t usually go more than 3 units deep for what im doing but id imagine if i were programming something that was getting into the 10’s or more units id start getting brain freeze! A basic topology view would be nice to see some of the relations between units that aren’t immediately evident when your looking a channel page at a time.

I don’t know as you say I think it depends on what suits, im probably more fitted to visual environments, I really didn’t gel with the 101. Seeing everything a step at a time didn’t make much sense to me and yet others love that kind of editing! horses for courses :slight_smile:

Sure, I think these are valid criticisms and reasons not to ‘gel’.

I sometimes get a little lost, but find naming things properly helps :slight_smile:

I’m not entirely sure what could be done about it, there was some talk of developing a visual representation on a computer away from the ER-301, but that’s a bit of a dream at the moment. Maybe one day.

Actually I agree with this. I also would like to target a balance where you wouldn’t need to go more than 2 or 3 sub-chains deep to patch most of the useful stuff. Humongous patches are better done else where. I’m shooting for the following 3 levels of patching abstraction:

Highest level: Units and Chains. Main purpose is to successfully embed and integrate workhorse units in a real-life patch using support units. In other words, solving the non-trivial problems of interfacing with the external world of control voltage.

Middle level: Constructing Units from Objects in Lua. Here is where the most complicated patching occurs but still no C++ coding is necessary. The topology of the object network inside a unit has no restrictions.

Lowest level: Writing Objects in C++. These (dsp and graphics) objects will be used in the middle level to ultimately make units.

User Replaceable CPU - THE DEFINITE THREAD - Which one? When? How? Etc
Thinking of selling ER 301

Wow the mid level sounds exciting if it has as many objects as any of the environments I mentioned you’ll get even partially computer literate people like myself making some fun units :slight_smile:

Destructive audio editing!! Woo!!

I’m late to to the party, and have been off in my own neck of the woods for the last few months, but wanted to chime in here with I’m with Mudlogger on the windowed looping mode. This is my very specific wishlist item.

Here’s an example (from 1997-ish) of using bidirectional looping with with a length and start-point modulation. (It’s just a little gothy! :sunglasses:)
Unbelievers by Dies Irae

Mode described in the first paragraph of this message board post…
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Ensoniq-ASR10-EPS16/conversations/messages/6989

I think I remember Brian saying that automatic transient slice selection will be available in a future update? If so would this be a command you execute once you have a file in the sample player buffer or could it be possible for this to happen in real time? An example would be if you were sharing a buffer between the looper and the sample player using the looper to “record” the incoming audio to the buffer and the sample player to play it back. If you could enable an “live auto slice” mode on the sample player to automatically detect transients on the audio being recorded into the buffer I could imagine this being a really interesting effect sending CV into the 301 to control slice selections! :thinking:

The more I think about this I think the upcoming crossfade feature will be massive. Fading from one complex chain though into another could increase the urgency for a more powerful processor IMO.