Dreams for V0.3

Wouldn’t that be pitch shift rather than frequency shift?

Aren’t those sort of the same thing??

No. Pitch shifts everything by x semi tones etc
Freq shits each partial by x hertz

Freq shift is almost related to ring mod in terms of how it sounds, so you wouldn’t use it to get yr vocals in tune!! :joy:

Now I’m confused. Couldn’t you just adjust v/oct on the pitch shifting delay by less than 100 cents (by switching to fine adjustment mode) to get what you’re calling frequency shift? Or potentially adjust the speed control instead?

I may be totally wrong here, but I am curious now.

Think of a tone made up of two sine waves (2 partials) one at 100hz and another at 150hz. So a fundamental and harmonic up by a fifth.

Say you double the pitch in a pitch shifter, so up by an octave, shifted up by a 100hz. In a pitch shifter the new tone has two sine waves in it, one at 200hz and another at 300hz. The harmonic relationship between the sine waves that make up the tone is maintained.

So let’s say you attempt to do the same thing with a frequency shifter, you shift the tone up by a 100hz. In a frequency shifter the new tone would be made up of two tones one at 200hz and another at 250hz. The harmonic relationship has changed.

In other words it’s a new sound and not just one shifted up an octave.

1 Like

I see - that example helped. So I guess of the two the frequency shifter is, in a way, the more complicated animal since it’s not just changing playback speed of granular samples.

It would have to do some kind of FFT to determine all the frequencies that are present in some group of samples, add a fixed value to each of them, and re-assemble the new waveform in the time domain?

Yeah you could but there is a method that uses ring mods which is more common…

I’ll see if I can find something on it

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmodularbook/nm_spectrum_shift.html

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I think I am only accustomed to working with pitch shifting and speed changing (which affects all pitches).

1 Like

Cool, I learned something today. thanks! :eye:

Wonder if any of the methods described could be built into a custom unit using existing 0.2 components?

1 Like

Perhaps… think it would be dsp costly though. Remember trying to build one on my Nord g2 years ago and the results were interesting but not that convincing. Do you have ableton live? The freq-shifter in there is pretty cool.

I have one of the Lite editions- not sure if that’s included or not. Will have a look.

1 Like

Really like freq shifter effect on vocals.

A random 0.3 feature request: I had previously asked for custom units to have their input available as a local, and that made it onto the “Definitely” list, so woohoo for that.

EVEN BETTER would be if every single unit, even builtins, had a local variable called “input” which was the signal coming in its left side input. That way, if the output of the previous unit in a chain needs to go into a control on the following unit instead of the main input you can preserve the chain structure, like

[PITCH CV] → [SIN OSC] → […]

instead of having (as we have to today)

[SIN OSC] → […]
^
[PITCH CV]

which I find harder to navigate through and edit.

(in my example, you would set the SIN OSC pitch input source to be “input”)

2 Likes
  1. An “In-Counter” for the 6-Track recorder would be very great, especially if you play an instrument and doesn’t have a free hand. Or the possibilty to start the rcording with an Trigger.
    For sure this will be obsolete as soon as we have a trim feature :slight_smile:

2. (CV)- Control for the feedback of the delay Units.

1 Like

What i‘m Really missing: a function generator.
Would like to have an ad envelope with the options to have the attack and decay independently set to exp or log or Lin.
I want to have a snappy env!

2 Likes

Do you mean to generate CV for controlling other modules in your rack? If I understand correctly the ER-301 can’t do that as its outs aren’t DC coupled. It has the ADSR units for processing within the ER-301, of course.

Just a passing thought for a nice-to-have at some point. Frequently I find myself connecting parameters of units up to an external offset generator in order to have multiple knobs that I can twist to try to dial something in. Use Evil Twin as an example where I might have some external knobs connected up to the ratio, fm, pm, and fold controls.

You can see the indicator move when you twist the knob, but currently I don’t think there’s a way to read its exact value. For example, if I get that sound dialed in and wanted to save it as a preset for later, I don’t think there’s currently an easy way to unplug the offsets and have the parameters retain their values.

So maybe a “read momentary value” or even “use momentary value as new offset” function on the parameters might be a nice convenience feature. Or “convert chain to constant”. Something along those lines… :slight_smile:

9 Likes

ooh, really nice idea.

no, i mean for int use.