ER-101 Factory Reset?

I bought a used ER-101/102 combo and I’m just now noticing that the default voltage is 1.C.0.0 instead of 1.0.0.0 as the user manual notes. How can I make sure the units are reset to factory settings?

Updating the firmware with the Programmer software and making sure to check “clear snapshots” is equivalent to a factory reset.

By the way, the manual is trying to say that the default CV index of a newly inserted note is the entry of the current voltage table that is closest to 1V. In the case of 12ET that would be index 12 which is 1.C.00 which happens to be exactly 1.000V.

1 Like

Okay so index 12 on CV-A at 1.C.00 is 1V, on CV-B index 12 is reading 1.200V - I’m confused.

CV-A and CV-B each have their own voltage tables. The default voltage table for CV-A is 12ET (i.e. pitch duties) and the default voltage table for CV-B is L-8 (i.e. modulation duties). In 12ET, 1V is located at index 12 and in L-8, 1V is located at index 10. Hence when you insert a new step, CV-A is initialized to index 12 and CV-B is initialized to index 10.

See the Voltage Tables section of the manual. :+1:

2 Likes

@odevices: I have read this part of the manual and still have a question: What you say here is that CV-B is pre-loaded with (or refers to) the L-8 voltage table - can you tell me how to copy 12ET into the table that CV-B uses, either for a specific pattern and/or globally for the ER-101 ?

Here are the relevant instructions from p.19 of the manual:

To use a reference table just copy it to one of your track’s voltage tables and then, if necessary, edit it to fit
your needs. To copy a reference table:

1. Set the TABLE switch to the REF position.
  2. If it is not already focused, press the INDEX button.
  3. Select the specific table with the RIGHT knob.
  4. Press the COPY button and the INDEX LED will flash.
  5. Now select table A or B with the TABLE switch.
  6. Press the INSERT button to overwrite the destination table for the current track.
  7. Repeat step 5 and 6 for as many tables as you desire.
  8. Press the COPY button again to leave the copy mode.

Let me know if something is not clear.

1 Like

Thank you. I have to get to bed now, but I will take a closer look tomorrow.

I think I may have a misunderstanding of the implementation of tables. Can the user have different tables set per step?
FWIW, I tried following p.19’s instructions and I hear no change in the output of CV-B.
The pattern that I am trying to modify has already been created with the previous (factory) tables active - would this matter? If so, how can I change all steps for CV-B’s output at once?

I suppose my assumption was that if I had edited/created a pattern using a given table and then changed that table, all steps would then reflect the new table values.

Thanks again.

No. There are two tables per track, one for CV-A and one for CV-B.

Shoudn’t matter. The steps only hold indices into the voltage tables. So changing the CV-B voltage (by the procedure above) will definitely change the resulting output voltages.

This is a correct assumption.

1 Like

OK, I finally figured out what was going on. What a labyrinth of user errors!

1. I had made a sequence with OSC2 / CV-B with the assumption that it was operating as 12ET, and was trying to get CV-A’s (OSC1) pitches to match it. This obviously didn’t work with the default settings, as the two voltage maps differed. The issue was that CV-B’s output sounded harmonically “correct” as I was using a wavetable oscillator that was in a particular mode. The OSC must be quantizing the voltages internally.
  2. I was still trying to get CV-A to match B, and not having any luck. I tuned OSC1’s pitch ~10 times with my tuner, only to realize that OSC2’s wavetable (and the chord-based harmonic partials associated) were the culprit. I verified that CV-B’s output sounded funky in OSC1 compared to CV-A, and then tried it with the mirrored 12ET voltage tables (p19).
  3. I did a test with the same oscillator and found that the voltage going in to it from either CV-A or CV-B was now producing identical output.

I realize now that I cannot trust the tuning of this wavetable OSC’s mode via the tuner, and that it’s actually a likely candidate for a custom voltage table (or maybe there’s something in the stock set that would work for stepped voltages that don’t correspond to 1V/oct input).
…my solution was to tune the wavetable osc by ear, as I couldn’t get an accurate pitch readout from my tuner of it since there are too many harmonics involved for the tuner to decompose (it needs a single partial). Now that I’ve changed the mode of OSC2, both OSCs are tracking correctly and are using the same 12ET table.

Thanks for the help, and apologies for the noise.

1 Like