Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

ER-101 voltage tables format

After quite a long time I eventually tried a different voltage table than 12TET now and have to admit that I am a bit confused. It seems that all tables (at least the common modes I tried have 12 indices per octave while there are only 8 notes. So some notes have more than one index and C repeats every 12 indices. I expected to have it repeat every 8 indices and thought all index/note assignments would be unequivocal. It seems to me that like the tables are constructed math operations would not make sense now because of the ambiguity. It is not possible to transpose within the scale by math operation for example, ist it?

Is there something I don’t fully understand about the voltage tables from the O|D website that are linked from the manual? What is use case these scale tables are constructed towards to?

Also does anyone have common scale tables, mainly the common modes, in ER-101 format?

For those specific scales, you are correct.

The scales that come with the ER-102 (i.e. *.BIN files in the ER-102/TABLES folder of the SD card) were contributed by a user who had a bunch of scales that he wanted to use but he did not have the programming skills to generate the binary files. So I wrote a python script for him to generate the binary voltage table files. Personally, I prefer not to have any presets on a new device but since quite a few users asked for it and there was a high barrier due to the programming required, I decided to start including those tables on all ER-102.

There is now the ability to specify voltage tables using scala files which (I think?) lowers the barrier for users creating exactly and only the tables that they want. So perhaps it is time to stop shipping with those scales (but still have them available for download)?

1 Like