ER-301 and the Monome Grid w/ Teletype

@scanner_darkly over at llllllll.co linked a post at Instagram demonstrating the Monome Grid and Teletype working with the ER-301.

From his post: “#mlr style grid #teletype scene update - it works! slice selection now works properly after i set sample player to 12TET address mode. it does need a trigger delay, i used fixed delay unit with 11ms delay. will post it likely tomorrow, need to clean it up a bit.”

If you own a 301 you should probably take a look at the video in the link:

4 Likes

Crazy

he sequenced slices with a sequencer…or do i miss something spectacular here?

The significance here is in regards to MLR, a very loved max app for monome, which needs a computer running max of course.

Here’s an example:

Doing it via monomone euro modules and the 301 - no computer - is very exciting to us monome users.

And I feel we’re just getting started with this kind of thing.

5 Likes

this is what i’m waiting for a long time ! MLR without any computer… we are so close now ! yahouuu !

4 Likes

I think it’s more like playing parts of a recording on a tactile interface and being able to record your performance as a playable sequence. As far as I understood it the slices are only made to map the original recording to the 16 grid buttons. It’s a bit like tape editing as a performance technique. And indeed a very popular vintage monome grid application.

1 Like

it is fair to say that this is more interesting for teletype users than er-301 (although judging by a lot of familiar usernames here there is quite a bit of overlap!), particularly because integrating monome grid with teletype is a new thing, so any examples of its practical applications are exciting.

i do want to elaborate a bit more though on what makes it so exciting (and working on grid integrations perhaps the most important part of this work for me is thinking of what is possible with this integration and how far we can push it, and mlr is a really good example of that). apologies for some shameless generalizations that are about to follow.

if er-301 is a “sound computer”, then teletype could be described as an “event computer”. er-301 allows you to create custom sound “modules” where you decide how it produces sound and how it can be modulated. similarly, you can design a custom sequencer with teletype where you decide how it steps through a sequence and what aspects of it can be controlled / modulated (or how about a sequencer that treats a concept of sequence like something that can be changed with control voltage).

teletype is similar to er-301 in that it only has one knob though, so that’s where grid integration comes in handy. and because it’s scriptable as well what this means is that you can build your own custom grid UI, which is tailored to your sequencer. or you could have a UI that changes dynamically as your patch unfolds.

basically, with a er-301/teletype/grid combo you can build a custom sound module, with a custom sequencer and a custom controller. and since teletype can store scenes (internally and on a USB stick) you could have the above mlr style patch, and with a simple recall you could turn it into a 6 track drum machine with mutes and an x/y pad:

or take that and add another 2 CV sequencers:

8 Likes

How does it handle playing the file so that it is heard at normal speed? I’m sort of confused about that part. Wouldn’t it play only bits and pieces if the triggers were coming faster than the slices lasted?

correct. you would need to adjust the speed / slice it properly if you wanted it to play the full sample as if it wasn’t sliced.

thanks for the explanation, i’m not a monome user so i don’t have this experience but i do see the appeal in some applications.

Given the 301’s capability you could always use another sample player to play the original file as well.

1 Like

Of course you can play the original file with another sample player… What I’m inquiring about here is whether or not you could play the file normally as the steps progressed along the monome grid row, sometimes interrupting it, but having it lock back into tempo. That is the challenging thing - autoslicing and playing in time. Perhaps down the road this will be possible if these things can be developed:

1. Autoslicing into equal parts (and possibly by transient too??).
  2. End of slice triggers/allow you to play the next slice automatically.
  3. 2 way communication between ER-301 and Teletype to update the grid, showing the currently playing slice.

I’m pretty amazed at what @scanner_darkly has been achieving recently, taking the grid and teletype into completely new territory…WOW. :open_mouth:

Thanks for sharing the videos there @scanner_darkly. I am starting to get a better sense of what the monome gear is all about. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I should add here that the Teletype does not require any other modules to function. It comes with a QWERTY keyboard, which is all you need for programming scenes. The Grid functionality is a new, incredible thing that @scanner_darkly has added thanks to the magic of open source.

If you have any interest in algorithmic music whatsoever, it’s worth taking a look at it.

4 Likes

I join my voice to the awesomeness of TT with Grid. It pairs so well with the ER-301.

6 Likes

Can Grids do basic sequencing à la TipTop Circadian Rhythms but also Euclidean sequences?

If so, are the Teletype and Ansible the ‘best’ modules to intergrate Grids into Eurorack?

I have a TT CR but I find the buttons a bit clunky and the 8x8 grid a bit limiting (I know you can tie sequences together but I find the process a bit cumbersome).

I’m looking for something that I can bash out some fairly standard drum patterns but also go a bit wonky/unusual & jam out…

Does the Monome stuff have its own master clock?

Cheers,
Mike

As it’s getting quite off-topic, here is the forum initiated by the monome guys : https://llllllll.co
It’s unbelievably awesome.
Also, check out the docs here https://monome.org/docs/
The grid integration to the TT is quite new (still in alpha) but is very powerful : you can definitely program sequencers, trigger sequencers, and weird sequencers, driven by the grid. Not sure you can make something extremely complex, but it still can go deep. You’ll have to code it by yourself or use scenes coded by others, though.
Ansible is quite nice (check out ‘Kria’) and White Whale is a powerful, yet simple sequencer.

In itself, the grid doesn’t do anything, it’s just an interface for other software, whether that software is running on a computer or on modules. Ansible provides a very interesting step sequencer (kria) as well as a trigger-sequencer (meadowphysics), but neither do euclidean step sequencing. When integrated with Teletype (as @chapelierfou mentioned, the grid/teletype-integration is in a quite early phase) it can do anything you can program/script with teletype - and that’s nearly anything you can think of in terms of trigger sequencing.

Depends on the software, but basically, yes. Ansible can run either on its internal clock or on an external clock and the Teletype has a built-in metronome script that automatically triggers at a user-defined interval that you can use to create a master-clock. But it’s also easy to clock it externally.

Also, to add to the answers, there’s an euclidean rhytms operator thanks to sam: http://samdoshi.com/post/2016/03/teletype-euclidean/

edit: would be nice to see it in action with the grid ops.
it’s worth noting that with teletype, compared to ansible or the now discontinued other monome modules, nothing comes out-of-the-box (except a few example scripts showing the fundamentals). it’s all about scripting the module. while it’s possible to import scripts others have made, there are very few around so far, specially with grid ops. and scenes are often specific to certain setups. so chances are high you want to make your own scripts. the community does a fantastic job though if you got the idea/vision and struggle with implementing it. also worth noting, that the initial use case of teletype is to react to triggers (the 8 trigger inputs), with simple commands that can output CV, slew or delay them or whatever can be done to the numbers in between. everything is rather limited, 8 scripts (a 6 lines), 4 patterns (a 64 steps), 1 metro (clock). Specially the line limitation often forces you to optimise and be creative within those boundaries, which is part of the fun! but therefore the implementation of certain grid applications can be a bit tricky. but the advantage is of course a ultra flexible tool for whatever you imagine…

2 Likes

Many thanks for your detailed answers.
All sounds good!