ER-301 as final mixing stage?

Hi everyone,

I’m on the fence of buying/preordering a 301. I’m building a 208 HP rack, so space is limited, and the 301 seems to offer a lot in a relatively “small” package. I already invested in some Frap Tools CGM modular mixing modules, but this section is 36 HP already, so I’m thinking about if/how to get rid of it to make more space for other modules.
Because the 301 has lots of inputs and an internal mixer: Are some of you using it as a final mixing stage to mix internal and external (other module’s audio outs) signals? Does that make sense at all? I assume even if it’s possible, the main advantage of a hardware mixer – fast, intuitive mixing via hardware knobs – would be lost this way. Any opinions on that?

I am using it this way, but it makes me wish I had more than 4 audio inputs on the unit.

Someone mentioned in a thread, which I subseqently misplaced and so can’t reference at the moment, that they were mixing 3 stereo inputs through the ER-301 and I couldn’t work out how this could possibly be so…I guess a submix would offer you the potential for more than 2 stereo inputs…

All of the 16 ABCD inputs can accept audio. The caveat is that if they contain substantial energy over 30kHZ aliasing may occur.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Front_Panel#ABCDx_Input_Matrix

For set and forget type mixing it is great. If you’re looking to ‘play’ your mixer extensively, a dedicated module might still be a good asset.

3 Likes

Well I’ll be darned. This may significantly increase the (already very significant) role the ER-301 plays in my rack. Thanks!!

1 Like

Ah, ok, thanks Joe. For that reason I tend to think of INs 1-4 as my audio inputs (in terms of mixing audio) and the others for modulation (including obviously audiorate modulation)

That’s how I was thinking of it too, but I think I’m going to start abusing the other inputs for audio mixing and see how it goes.

For a lot of audio sources, they’re just fine. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m thinking the WMD QAAF could work for anti-aliasing additional inputs, it can remove frequencies above 30khz, sure, you’re wasting 4hp but you’re getting 4 more “clean” inputs on the ER-301

Using the ER-301 as a final mixing stage would introduce additional A/D/A conversions. Is there a noticeable sound degradation when feeding it with analogue signals through the main audio inputs 1 - 4 and applying nothing else than mixing?

Not that I can notice, but of course, it’s just my ears, maybe yours are different.

There is some aliasing on the inputs due to the resampling from the input sample rate (60kHz, I believe) to the ‘system’ sample rate (48kHz or 96kHz). It is currently listed as a bug in the issue tracker. Since it’s on Brian’s radar, it will hopefully get taken care of soon.