ER-301 Expander

sorry to resurrect an old thread but i’d like to chime in with some thoughts…

the idea of having simple gate outs on an expander is great but i personally have luck in sending out triggers\gates from the ac outputs already (most of my modules recognize the signal, it might be non so precise but it’s enough for my needs).

i imagine a simple expander with no displays or encoders, just 8 outputs, with 8 dac’s, dc coupled, to send out all kind of signals. i imagine it small (but don’t know if its possible in 4hp, i’d buy it even if it was 8, 10 or 12 :smiley: )

do not misunderstand me: i don’t want the 301 to become a “do it all” module, but given the huge amount of things you can do in the realm of generating, processing and distributing cv\gate signals it feels a bit a shame to not be able to use them to control other modules. i think something like this might be greatly appreciated by actual owners and attract new customers like bees on a flower!!! a simple panel (maybe with choices matching the alt panels for the 301 itself), 8 labelled outs (E1, E2, etc…) and that’s it.

what i’d like to ask @odevices is : in case you’ll decide to ditch this idea, it might be possible that when you’ll open the low-level dsp code there will be the opportunity for third party developers to build something like this? or there are other limitations that will come into place?
thanks for any info you’d like to share :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Bumping this idea a bit…

SO this is sort of crazy, but given the flexibility of the ER-301’s structure, I often wonder if it would ever be possible to port something like the Turing Machine as software to the ER-301and have a TM unit that controls other units inside the ER-301. But what would really up the ER-301’s game would be if we had some DC-coupled outs capable of outputting either CV or audio to control other modular gear.

1 Like

the er-301 is more than capable of handling a turing machine unit.
as of now we don’t have a linear feedback shift register unit but that is something that isn’t so hard to code so i’m sure sooner or later @odevices will implement something like that, or when the core layer will be open i’m sure some user will code it in C++ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Inputs are now easily scalable thanks to things like sweet sixteen and are actually quite powerful.

With more output, it’s a dream come true.
Is there a possibility to expand it in the future?

Probably already mentioned, but … I was daydreaming today of an ER-301 expander that was basically a mini version of the Nord Modular G2 UI (screens, encoders and buttons). For example, 2 rows of screens, encoders ands buttons that are mapped to 301 preset controls complete with custom names and values on the screens. 301 preset controls could be arranged in pages and the expander would have controls for paging (similar to G2).