ER-301 Micro systems

Oh yeah, I just saw you actually linked to the product… :blush:

As someone who has suffered with noise problems for a long time, only to have it all fixed by just getting a new power brick (well and a bunch of LIBBS, and upgraded power cables), I share your frustration / worry regarding noise and power.

Just know that power problems are tameable. As these newer more focused power products come out or are highlighted it will help manufacturers also make a more concerted effort to prevent their modules from being the culprit of noise.

I feel like, eurorack systems are becoming more and more professional everyday, even if at times it does so kicking and screaming!

beauty of a module by @mengqimusic called “Please Exist”

Thank you for the love! :heart: :musical_note:

it also allows my headphones to plug in and hear mono in both sides. usually mono outs don’t do this.

That’s because it’s balanced on the 1/4 side. When you record your modular, try TRS - TRS / XLR cables to your soundcard / mic preamp / mixer for balanced audio connection.

4 Likes

If you’re getting noise from your system with a Shuttle Control, chances are you are asking too much of it!

I have had the odd instance where there has been an incompatibility too, although I can’t remember what, I just remember thinking oh, that module needs to go in another case.

From the manual:

The PSU is designed to supply one full row of all Endrphin.es modules with a reserve of current – i.e., up to 1000 mA from +12V rail, 600-700mA from -12V rail and up to 1000 mA from +5V rail (Shuttle Control delivers +5V to the busboard when the ‘+5V to bus’ jumper installed. Do not install the ‘+5V to bus’ jumper when you power the Shuttle from external busboard that has a +5v adapter installed.).
It is capable of supplying more modules, however keep in mind to calculate their overall power consumption. Powering too many modules will increase the temperature of Shuttle Controls backside. There are short-circuit, reversed DC jack pin-out and thermal overheating protections.

To be sure you’re providing enough juice you need a transformer that will deliver 3 Amps.

Be careful!

Looks really nice by the way, good stuff :heart:

1 Like

Thanks @anon83620728 for the exact info! Somehow I missed the specs in the manual even though I was looking for exactly that :thinking:

Modulargrid tells me that I have 713 mA on the +12V rail and 309 mA on the minus + 500mA for my Pyramid on the 5V. Should be good! Now I just need to figure out my output situation.

Thanks for the ‘looking good’ comment. I feel like at last I’m going to have an instrument that I like as an object as well as like playing it. Always had trouble with the bulkiness of eurorack systems. It took me two years to get to this point and I’m selling at least 70% of my collection!

Finally received my shuttle control and 1U modules. I had to make a little depth compromise though, and made my skiff slightly deeper than I planned to accomodate the reverb and bigger jacks. I’m happy with the downsize so far but need to play with it for a while. I kept some spare modules for swapping and fine tuning.

11 Likes

I’m pretty excited about this project too. I think I may eventually be headed this direction as well. It’s going to be tough to stay disciplined to not keep growing it when something new comes out though, eh? :slight_smile:

Haha, no I’m good. These days so many stuff is coming out that it would just give me a headache if I tried to keep up. I really want to learn the instrument I got, and with the ER-301 alone that’s just going to keep me busy for a looong time :grinning:
But yeah, like I mentioned in the other thread : it does tempt me to build several mini systems that would serve specific purposes, and swap them out once in a while according to the need or inspiration of the moment. Next up is my TSNM. I would like to have it available as sort of a standalone keyboard/sequencer, in a separate skiff.

1 Like

These things are brilliant, I would recommend a clock to go with it! And perhaps another TSNM :wink:

Or perhaps this instead so you can double up the action from your TSNM:

Just thought of a super nice playable instrument, up to 3 cv / gate pairs, two recorded in BM and one playing live from the TSNM, and up to 6 percussion sounds from the TW, everything clocked and synced. You could produce full tracks on this:

3 Likes

Cool idea! Funny you should pick shakmat since he’s living in my town and I had several of his modules. Time wizard I had and sold, and 4 bricks rook same story. I’m not jelling with the ui somehow. Bishops miscellany does look like it’s a keeper though. anf yeah tsnm is cool. Although my touch sensor is not too reliable, should take a look at that.

1 Like

Just replace the MPR121 - they are notoriously shit!

Oh, there’s a jumper on the back too which grounds the touch plate, try that if you haven’t already :slight_smile:

I built mine from the first prototype pcb run. I don’t think the jumper is present on mine :thinking: Did you build or buy yours?

Replacing the breakout board will probably do the trick however.

1 Like

I built one for a customer, but am in the process of getting the bits together to build a couple more, one for me :smiley:

See J3:

1 Like

:smiley:

Heh, obviously an afterthought :smiley:

I would imagine you could ask them how to hack yours to provide this option, I am pretty certain it won’t be very difficult!

i’ve been trying this really hard too. it’s not easy but i’m proud of myself so far!

2 Likes

Hi all, this is my first post here but I recognise a number of you from Lines. I’m here because of a downsize that the ER 301 has enabled (hopefully - i pick it up this afternoon). Essentially for the same reasons as the OP @Bparticle - patch fatigue (love it!), time constraints and the euro bug leading to an expanding system. I love the knob per function ethos but this really led to the accumulation of modules as I continually wanted to add this or that approach/functionality. I was steered by a desire for a improv instrument that in the end wasn’t allowing me diversity to make the music I wanted. Enter W/ and the ER-301 and the realsiation that I want to prepare music more than I want to just jam. This is the system as it stands. I will add another W/ a Nearness and swap the uBurst out with Mangrove or Plaits as required. All of this is subject to what I discover with the ER 301 though.

6 Likes

Welcome @yoyosandshoes.

Seems like we’re on a similar journey, @yoyosandshoes! Welcome :slightly_smiling_face: and thanks for welcoming “patch fatigue” in the eurorack jargon :rofl:

If it hadn’t been for the ER-301 I would have probably quite eurorack altogether by now. But I’m enjoying it a LOT lately.

Your rack is looking great.

1 Like

I totally understand where you are coming from! It is funny how one of the main things people love about modular is one of the things keeping it from getting better in some ways. (Obviously in a vacuum of space, time, and money this wouldn’t matter.) The beauty of it all is that there is room for everything!

Do you not want any analog sound sources? Not really necessary as the 301 could sample them assuming you have some analog sound sources around. I am not trying to suggest that it is a must either. I personally just like the challenge of trying to have as small of a setup as possible while still covering as many bases as possible.

You could probably ditch the uClouds and use the 301 for that, although this depends on how dependent you are on on granular for your sound.

1 Like