Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

ER-301 Micro systems

My system right now during a massive studio modular overhaul is literally a Waldorf KB37, Percussa SSP, ER-301 and a pair of headphones!

Curious as to what everyone’s preferences are for micro system module choices? I made up two systems here based around a 3u 104hp case; the top one is all control for the 301 and no sound sources, bottom one is less control for 301 but more external sound sources.

I feel like the top one would be more fun, a live and expressive way to sequence and interact with the 301. The bottom one however would produce much more complex timbres and allow the 301 with some extra cpu for processing.

It’s interesting to see how others have approached this. Balancing controls and sound sources. Perhaps I should just stick to my 208hp case and have the best of both worlds. But as always I love compact and focused systems. Anyway thought I’d pick the communities brain about it! :slight_smile:

It’s a hard one isn’t it? I mentioned on the other thread how I’m going back and forth between the two approaches. Just the ER-301 with control makes for a very focused system but you’re stuck in one single mindset. With the second approach, I feel you might as well leave all your modules happy and snug in a big case, cause you will never find the “perfect” combination of flavors to add to it, and you typically need an exponential number of modules for them to work well together. Then again you can just swap some modules once in a while to fit the mood and patch on the coach. That’s just plain fun. Adding a 1U row makes it a lot easier though.

I like the way you’re mapping out your patch beforehand. I should try that.

One thing is for sure: I want the ER-301 right where I can get at it and manipulate comfortably, so not in a big upright case. It’s the module I spend the most time with and I don’t want my arm in a funny angle for two hours in a row.

Anybody else see the new 4ms pod cases and think immediately of the 301?

Yep—immediately

about to have a case made just for the 301… here is what I am thinking…

Wow, looks very fun. :slight_smile:

You might want to consider a physical envelope or lfo module, as adsr’s in particular eat a lot of control, but it’s up to your way of working, really.

FLXS1 has envelopes per step. beyond that I’m more likely to create the envelopes inside the ER301 patch and trigger them with a set of gates. if I really feel the need to go with more envelopes like that, I could see tossing in a dual envelope generator at some point or just patching it to my larger rack.

This is what I am about to do with one of those 60HP 4ms cases…

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_738193.jpg

Pluck won’t fit in the pod. You can really only fit single parallel PCB modules in there (or very low profile dual PCB modules). Perpendicular ones just don’t work.

Yup, 2hp modules are too deep (they won’t even fit frap tools plus cases). And I believe you don’t need the ALM headphone out. Just use a 2-mono to 1-stereo minijack adaptor and you can plug your headphones directly in the ER-301. See, you just saved 4hp! :smiley:

ah poop y’all are right. Hmmmm… then I have room for a 4HP multiple. w00t.