ER-301 not starting up again after i2c jack cable connected to unit touched my Michigan Synthworks desktop fader cabinet

Hi
My ER-301 dont start up again after i2c jack cable connected to unit touched my Michigan Synthworks desktop fader metal cabinet. The ER301 shut down when it touched the cabinet and is now dead.
What to do?
Thank you.
arne

You need to replace the CPU board. Here are the instructions:

So i guess the board is fried?
Do you have the cpu board in stock, they are sold out at Olimex at the moment.
thank you
a

I do not have any stock.

In addition to the AM3352-SOM, you can use the AM3352-SOM-IND variant which seems to be in stock.

1 Like

Thank you. I have ordered a couple of those. What do u think happened? I really dont want it to happen again.
a

I2C is not hardened for plugs with exposed leads. It should be treated as electrostatically sensitive. Plugging and unplugging I2C should be treated with the same care that you would use for changing the RAM in your laptop.

In other words, I2C sits squarely in the DIY electronics domain and should not be mistaken for a consumer-grade connection like MIDI.

reason why i never ventured into i2c world, tho it’s surely a comfortable way to speak to the er-301 i don’t trust it… too volatile for my tastes…

what about this one? it seems like a regular olimex som attached to an expansion gpio board or something like that…
https://www.mouser.it/ProductDetail/Olimex-Ltd/AM3352-SOM-EVB?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu3sxpa5v1qrnjbO1HQa%2BRi5gbX2C6YIQQ%3D

asking because this is cheaper than others i’ve found (i’ve been able to find the AM3352-SOM-IND in italy only through amazon, and it’s 100 euros…while this one is about 65…)

I would make sure the SOM is actually included and not just assume from the picture.

1 Like

hehehe yes, i was a bit afraid of it as well…

So the unit is up and running again after changing the cpu.
Thank you
a

1 Like