ER 301/OD-centric Discord Server

I spend way too much time on Discord, so last night I took it upon myself to create a server for users/enthusiasts/expectant new owners of OD gear. There are many synth-oriented servers, but none serving this user base specifically. Hopefully this is a welcome addition to the various communities already in place. I also hope posting an invite on the forum isn’t considered bad form, but if it is please don’t hesitate to utterly destroy this post!

2 Likes

Your proposition has propagated! For sure there are forums and talking in different circles might be congenial to others. But to me your behaviour is akin to that of a beaver, in as much as you dam the natural flow, take advantage of the force and split the energy out to the fringe. And for what purpose. This forum is the river, why confuse the natural flow of things?

2 Likes

The short answer is that posting on forums induces a great deal of anxiety in me.

Hopefully the discord server can house more informal and off the cuff conversation in tandem with the great work going on here.

2 Likes

There’s definitely some conversations that are easier to have in somewhat real-time. Quick questions about how things work / bouncing around ideas for example.

I think there’s room for both, personally always thought we could use a kind of IRC for helping out with development as well.

3 Likes

I have absolutely no problem with this :nerd_face:

Every little trickle eventually joins the ocean. Where is this ocean? :thinking:

4 Likes

Could you elaborate - if you wish - on the specifics of this anxiety in reaction to a “forum” versus Discord (I don’t think I understand the difference, or maybe I don’t know what Discord is, I guess). What am I missing? Oh wait, this forum is Discourse, and you are talking about Discord. Okay I think I’m answering my own question here in real time, right? Discord is more of a chatting platform it seems, hmm could be interesting.

I get an “invite is invalid” message when I follow your link. How does it work exactly?

1 Like

I wrote a response that totally illustrated why I struggle on forums, because it quickly got overlong, and I had to start revising, and then I was worried about how silly I might look to posterity, and on and on.

Maybe it’s something about rich text editors…

It’s hard to emphasize just how much I enjoy visiting this place and contributing as I can, but I’m a severe over-thinker and I’m not always prepared to deal with myself that way. Chat/IM often feels lighter to me somehow.

The invite link should be active for the next 6 days, maybe you need to make an account first? If you’d like I can send you a fresh link directly.

Also thank you @odevices for chiming in :dove:

1 Like

Okay, I understand. Funny, I started this conversation about the subject https://llllllll.co/t/oop-overthinking-overcomplicating-perfectionism-and-other-bad-creative-habits over on the lines forum, maybe you can find some support there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

as an avid discord user and one of the moderators and show co-curators with New York Modular Society (a 700-ish user discord server) i totally see the point of having an option for quick real-time no frills chatting that does not exactly need to be preserved for posterity! and so far it seems to be working perfectly. thanks for the idea!

3 Likes

I did join the server but the concern expressed by joncharliefeathers eloquently mirrored my first thoughts. Here we are with a modern forum technology that is easily searchable with a pretty damn good user experience. I went on Discord today and saw 50 unread messages and … Yeah. Can’t fault anyone for wanting the “informal” format but I do think the downside of info split is a real one, but hey, perhaps the kind of sharing landing on Discord wouldn’t happen here anyway, though I’m not sure why.

2 Likes

It’s really a dilemma isn’t it? I think @Lokua and @joncharliefeathers have a point and I totally agree, but at the same time, I tried the Discord and really enjoyed it. Yesterday in a late night problem solving/figuring stuff out session with the modular I just fired my questions in the chat and had a really fun time debugging with @tomf. That wouldn’t have happened without being able to talk directly. Even in the case that I had deemed my situation general enough to post my query here, I would still have been all alone and lonely in my man-cave surrounded by nothing but bleeping machines and electric wires :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It can also be nice to ask questions that aren’t specifically about the ER-301. Like last night tom f was teaching me a bit about arm intrinsics. Sometimes you feel like making a topic needs a good enough question.

2 Likes

Is the discord still open? The link says invalid for me too. I don’t know a lot about discord, but I think you can make the invite permanent or something, that might help?

Here’s a permanent link:

Enjoy!

1 Like