Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

ER102: Is there a way to disable Low Transforms in Groups via Gate signal?

While learning the ER-101/102 combo I aquired used recently, I stumbled over the behavior of Low Transform Groups. From my initial experiments and the online ER-102 description on page 16 it looks to me that a Low Transform is always active, except if its Gate input is high (>1.5V).

If my understanding is incorrect, please let me know how to disable Low Transform via Gate input, without switching to the High Transform.

But if my understanding is correct, it would be great if there was a way to disable Low Transform without switching to the High Transform. If I may, please let me suggest 2 potential solutions that would work for me (disclaimer: of course these come from my naive non-technical and newbie view):
(a) Disengage Low Transform if Gate signal is <0.0 Volt. Or if this is not possible:
(b) Neither Low nor High Transform is Gate signal is <1.5V. Low Transform if Gate is ≥1.5V and <3V. High Transform if Gate is ≥3V.
© Low Transform: <1.5V. High Transform ≥1.5V and <3V. Neither Transform ≥3V.

Thanks for reading!

Sorry, not possible. Those (digital) inputs only recognize 3 states:

• not plugged in
  • plugged in and low voltage
  • plugged in and high voltage

What do you want to achieve that could not be achieved by turning the amount of low transformation to zero in the group settings?

Thanks for the quick answer!

What do you want to achieve that could not be achieved by turning the amount of low transformation to zero in the group settings?

Sure, I can manually turn the amount to zero, but this means I can’t remote control it via a gate signal. Imagine I want to switch rhythmically between no transposition and a transposition of +7 semitones (I mean +7 index steps): Instead of having to turn the CVA encoder in realtime back and forth (and trying not to overshoot values), I’d like to use a trigger signal to turn the transformation on and off.

I might be standing on the hosepipe :wink: but you could dial in the wanted index transformation amount for high gate and set it to zero for low gate. Than the gate switches between (or better: latches) both states. For transposing by using a trigger signal I would use pre-transposed parts, but that is a different workflow of course and also needs a CV signal.

1 Like

No, you are not “standing on the hosepipe”, but are “heavy on the wire” (to continue with Denglisch :wink: ): Your suggestion to use the Low Transform for no transformation, and use the High Transformation for the actual transformation is what I thought of as well. The reasoning behind my question way just that it seemed a bit sad to me that I have to use one of the two precious Math-based transformations per channel to do no transformation.

Would it help if you duplicated the pattern and assigned the transform to the duplicate pattern. You could send a similar gate to the part function to switch patterns AND instigate the transform, keeping it rhythmic

1 Like

Thanks, that should do the trick – I will give it a try!

Patterns and Parts are powerful functions. Almost as powerful as you. Even though you are new to the concept, the 101/102 should offer the tunnel to freedom you dig! Just keep digging…

2 Likes