Hello dear fellow 301ers, its quite a long time since my last custom unit.
as you might know we are currently in lockdown in italy, i live in Lombardia, the area that has the most infections. My job is teaching (i’m a freelance working in two different schools and also giving private tuition), schools were closed 3 weeks before the lockdown so, without panicking, i must admit this is a very difficult time money-wise.
Therefore for the first time i’m asking you to kindly make a donation (doesn’t matter how much) if you like my contributions and would like to help a fellow sound designer in times of need
you can use paypal and send me whatever amount at
a big hug in advance to all of you.
here we go…
i wanted to create a compressor with most of the features that make it useful and versatile. i ended up with two versions based on two slightly different approaches. the cool thing is that both have a sidechain filter and on both you can use an external sidechain.
The sidechain filter is an high pass filter and works for the normal signal and the external sidechain as well. it helps cleaning up the analyzed signal from low frequencies that might keep the amount of gain reduction high for too much time, it is key to the proper use of a compressor especially when used on drum parts or with drums as external sidechain.
this one uses a comparator to drive an ADSR envelope on a VCA.
it has a threshold, ratio and time parameters. you can dial in an hp filter on the sidechain signal (internal or external): please keep in mind that the high pass filter WILL NOT affect the sound you hear, only the signal driving the gain reduction.
- threshold: decrease it for more compression, this sets the level above which the compressor starts working
- ratio: increase it for more compression, this sets the factor of gain reduction. 1x means no compression (1:1 ratio)
- attack: how fast the compressor reacts to peaks in signal level.
- release: how fast the compressor stops working (reducing gain)
- key hp: frequency of the high pass filter on the sidechain (key) signal
- ext key: a toggle button, when on it engages the external sidechain
- key in: input for external sidechain (key). enter the subchain and assign an input or insert a unit then enable ext key toggle button
Same as Fat Comp but this one is simpler, it has no threshold control and it is based on an envelope follower. it still has sidechain filtering and external sidechain.
controls are the same as Fat Comp but there is no threshold control
cpu: about 9%
download Ez Comp: ez comp.unit (22.3 KB)