Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

Feature idea: quick sampling

Hi!

I have a request that’s a bit different from a lot of the requests, not sure it’ll fit the grand scheme, but here goes:

I’d love to have a shortcut of sorts for quick sampling. Maybe there would be a looper that doesn’t need a pre-assigned buffer, and there’s a quick option to just save the buffer to a file with some default name. (maybe even create a sample player with this sample assigned to it, within a mixer to the right of the looper?).

My use for this: I’d like to have one looper that’s a “sampling factory” - you just send it sound live and trigger punch in/out and get different layers of sound playing quickly.

Now, this takes these steps;

Create looper
Select buffer length, assign it
Start looper, assign trigger for reset/punch
Sample
Save buffer
Create mixer
Create sample player within mixer
Assign sample
Assign triggers
Then, the looper is free to sample another passage while the first sampled loop plays in the background.

Does this make sense? Thanks!

3 Likes

i was just thinking about this. i’m wanting to at any time sample without naming buffers or sample pools or care at all about which track i’m in. at any point, choose sampler, sample according to a threshold and from which input, stereo, mono L or mono R, what to name it and where. it’s basically all i do anyway, and hence another way is just to rename a buffer over and over from a looper.

Is there something about the preset/quicksave system that is making it an unsuitable solution for this?

I would just set up the structures that made sense for me to do quick sampling and then save it as a quicksave called “time to sample!” or similar.

2 Likes

Making a preset gets you close. You could have the looper with triggers pre-assigned and a sample player within a mixer, with triggers and CV pre-assigned…

What’s still left is what comes right after sampling: Saving (and naming) the buffer, then assigning the saved file to a sample player, and then re-assigning a new buffer to the looper.

I know it’s just a few steps, but for live layering, seconds count :slight_smile: In addition to layering, I really like the idea of being able to just feed different melodies and sound sources to the ER-301, triggering sampling from a sequencer so it’s in sync, and end up with a bunch of already perfectly trimmed sample files.

If the purpose is live layering, then why are you going through the process of naming and saving buffers?

(Not opposed to any of the ideas presented so far, but I want to be sure I understand the problem.)

1 Like

Good question – has a lot to do with my workflow, I guess.

I often compose songs by just quickly capturing loops, not unlike what you’d do in Ableton Live’s clip view. Then I have a lot of pieces that I can mute/unmute and re-organize later at will.

For instance, with an Octatrack, you can use all 8 tracks as samplers – a button combo starts the quantized sampling process for a track. Once you’ve sampled on all the 8 tracks, you can save each captured loop as an individual file. With the ER-301, I could create 8 loopers and end up with 8 filled buffers, ripe for saving – but then the problem is that all CV inputs have pretty much been taken by the loopers, so it would be better to just use one looper and save sequentially.

It might just be my workflow, but if it is, I encourage everyone to try it! :slight_smile:

I think I see where you going with this and I like the direction. Often I am doing something similar but I tend to restrict myself to bouncing back and forth between 2 or 3 looper/player combos as opposed to growing endlessly.

At first glance, it doesn’t sound to me like an architectural solution is necessary but more like a specialized “layering looper” unit where instead of dubbing (which mixes new audio with the old audio) you would actually just keep adding buffers to it. It definitely deserves more thought.

14 Likes

Oooh. That sounds … Yes, that’s it. Much better than my odd “button combos for new assignments” solution.

Thanks for hearing me out, very excited to see if something comes out as a result!

that sounds cool in the vein of elektron digitakt or octatrack’s approach to looping and/or audio stems, but i think me and @josker are requesting different things altogether.
my request is for something a little (haha lot) different.
basically, i come at things from a very hiphop approach. i want to hook up my record player or youtube and grab usually about 16 samples per song or less. short stabs, most of them. i currently don’t use the 301 for this, as it gets very tedious. think of an mpc, mpd etc. 16 main ins in the bottom section of the 301 that (to me) could be all triggers, for 16 sounds in 16 cells within a “sample matrix” style drum machine. each cell could be sampled to, which would create its own buffer via how long the sample was. truncation options, threshold options, and simple adsr/vca’s in the most basic way to make basically a drum machine out of the 301. i have been working on my own “drum rompler” for a while now, but all the recording stuff i currently do in ableton. i don’t like ableton at all, so at risk of being annoying i’m just requesting in a very verbose way.
<3
i also have been having a very fun time making weird complex oscillator drum modules in the 301 that supplement the drum modules i sold to make room for it :slight_smile:
i love the 301.

1 Like

What you described is another part of what I’d want to do. Most definitely.

Layering looper sounds great! Maybe when you add it and you specify the “buffer” you state time/size and number of instances/layers. Then as you punch, it just steps through them 1 by 1. And the audio out, plays a mixture. By setting the number of layers at the start it might be easier to control the amount of resource it eats up. Eventually your background to layer 1 and it overwrites.

this kind of goes back to the looping pedal style looper unit that was previously discussed.
something with a simple interface where you don’t need to pre assign a buffer of a specific length. where the buffer/loop length would be set by the act of starting and stopping recording a loop in the same way a Ditto or Loop Station pedal acts (or the looper plugin in Ableton Live for that matter) . I feel like that would be a powerful unit to have in the 301

6 Likes