Feedback on ER-301 Wiki-based Documentation

Well, we would first need to know exactly what your DAW’s limiter is doing. But then as soon as you know that the answer kind of pops out. :smile_cat:

Hehe… You’re such a tease sometimes :joy:

Compression seems to be one of the least understood functions, I know it took me quite some time to wrap my head around it.

Just remembered @NeilParfitt talked about this:

Perhaps there is no question. I might have been half suggesting an additional tip/application note, and half pulling the wool from over my eyes. :slight_smile:

I mentioned to @anon83620728 about the track that I shared yesterday that I was proud of it because everything was done inside the modular. I only used a PC to record a single stereo track, apply some fades to the beginning and end, and added a limiter to increase the perceived volume. It is now dawning on me that I could have done all of this with the ER-301 and used a computer only to upload it to Soundcloud!

1 Like

A limiter is a kind of compressor that is memory-less (i.e. attack and release are not needed) and the output is bounded (compressors do not necessarily limit the signal output except of course at the power rails). Everything else is just design (tongue firmly in cheek). A wave-folder is a type of limiter!

4 Likes

I see somehow I missed the limiter specific aspect of this :blush:

I’m not going to change it, but if anyone cares, re-read it thinking compressor, not strictly a limiter :slight_smile:

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Loudness Wars… are over?

Probably because it’s one of the few effects where what it was designed to do is completely different from how it’s applied in a modern exaggerated recording context.

1 Like

Since it’s all about how you use it, describing this unit was simpler than I thought it would be.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Manual_Grains

Now you are painting with sound! :paintbrush:

1 Like

Somehow I missed in the original announcement that manual grains had polyphony 16. I thought it truncated the current grain when a new one triggered. This is both awesome, and I think explains why I didn’t understand what was happening with it at times. :slight_smile:

Will polyphony be exposed as a parameter someday?

PS - your new avatar is awesome, @odevices.

2 Likes

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

I finally got round to finishing off the first walkthrough/tutorial on the wiki, and again @odevices has reviewed and improved on my work, so it should be pretty tight.

As always, feedback and constructive criticism is welcome!

So, here it is; How to Build a Simple Synth Voice:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/How_to_build_a_simple_synth_voice

:cat:

5 Likes

Looks very handsome!
Nice work!
Thank you!

The png images of the units are obviously low res [small file sizes].

Is it [or will be] possible to access larger versions? They are very small on screen and would also print poorly if someone wanted to make their own ‘manual’ or cheat/patch sheets.

Unfortunately, those are actual screenshots so they have the same resolution as the display on the ER-301. There is no vector graphics file from which to create higher resolution images.

I tried printing out page 2 of the @anon83620728’s How to build a simple synth voice and got the following result which seems quite readable but then eyesight varies a lot among people…

Here is what it looks like on my Surface Pro 4:

What is the dimension of one of the screenshots on your screen? On my Surface Pro 4 it is 5cm-by-3cm. When I print out on A4, one of the screenshots is 7.5cm-by-4cm. Is it very different for you @jaypodesta ?

About the same: 5 x 3 cm on screen.

Print res of the image is:

2.25 x 1.25 cm at 300dpi

4.5 x 2.51 cm at 150dpi

Just seems small to me but as you say eyesight varies…

I suppose I was also thinking of the future, and trying to avoid you having to redo the images more than once.

If resolution of our screens increases on our devices will the images become too small? As an example, I just looked at the same image on my (old) lower screen res mac mini and the image is 3cm wider and much much easier to read.

Image below is from a late 2016 15 inch MacBook pro screen

I’m confused why you would print screenshots of a 256x64 and 128x64 screens at 300 or 150dpi? To match the actual screen size of the ER-301, they should be printed at about 95dpi. Or am I misunderstanding your question? :thinking:

If your concern is solely that the pixel density of your screen will continue to shrink the images, then I would suggest just zooming the screen, usually text and print will flow automatically while the image sizes are increased. (of course just lowering your resolution is another option.)

Having to manually draw Screenshots is an extremely time consuming project that would simply not justify the end given the present circumstances. (IMHO that is.)

2d

I just checked to see if the wiki had a way of specifying image size in a DPI-independent fashion (inches or centimeters) but there is nothing. All image sizes are specified in pixels only. Weird.

Looking at a related question on stackflow:

Is this really still the case that browsers are not DPI-aware?

Well I just took the original image into photoshop and bumped it up by 200%

See attached files.

Maybe I have just confused things by introducing print res. Perhaps we should just stick to how small it looked on screen to me. And seeing if you can increase the size of the image files with out losing quality. Apologies.

Indeed - there is lots of misinformation floating around about this subject.

Vector graphics are the correct solution.

For this use case the only sensible and immediate solution would be to use CSS Media Queries. There are JS methods that are similar too, but meh.

I agree with @2disbetter, it’s probably not worth the effort, at least on an individual graphic basis, there could be another solution that enables the creation of vector graphics and for the unit arrangement this would be fairly straightforward albeit a lot of work up front. But for the scope shots then it gets tricky, they would essentially have to be drawn by hand every time or perhaps some kind of vector generation based on the png - but there is no way to meaningfully separate the waveform from the background lines so once again you would end up doing it manually - not fun!

My suggestion, live with it as is, print is fine, adjust your screen accordingly, it’s just a couple of key presses, on a Mac hold the cmd key and press + a few times to increase the size, - to reduce the size and 0 to return to the default.

Ideally of course these would be vectors, and if you are wanting to implement accessibility features this is pretty much the only solution.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG-access/