Feedback on ER-301 Wiki-based Documentation

I agree whole-heartedly about the fun challenge. A key aspect of the challenge (to me at least) is to find a representation (or procedure) that works for all configurations. In other words, if you need to manually solve the problem over again for each network then you have not found a solution yet. So based on that statement, yes I could indeed easily find 2D representations for certain specific networks but doing so in general is a really hard (but interesting) problem.

Probably not nearly as abstract or simplified as you were probably thinking but does removing color make these abstract diagrams clash less with the screenshot-based diagrams?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think you lose anything by going greyscale and it is more in keeping with the rest of the diagrams :slight_smile:

Check out this diagram of my mixer routing:

https://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/pdf/SL3242AI_Block_Diagram_11012013.pdf

Despite itā€™s obvious complexity I donā€™t find it hard to follow at all!

1 Like

Prefer it with colour.

Yes!
The top diagram definitely accomplishes what I think you were aiming for: depicting a ā€˜higher levelā€™ relationships between chains of control, without being bogged down by the detailed specifics of interface elements.
I think the shapes of the er-301 interface design are totally understandable, and now familiar to the user.
You are right, I think it could be made even simpler, but this definitely integrates much better with the rest of the visual language of the manual!
Awesome!

1 Like

May I ask: what does the color diagram convey that the grayscale one does not?
I am asking, as I myself am curious what is gained and/or lost in that choice. Or is it just that you like these colors?

I think if color was an important and active element of the er-301 interface, then that would be obviously important to address. But that is not the case. So, if color is added, in my opinion, there should be a good reason to do so. In that regard, i see the addition of red as a meaningful gesture, because it calls attention to particular ideas or actions that are not visually present in the device interface. The other colors, i personally did not see the meaningful reason for implementing.
But, of course, that might just be the way I am thinking about itā€¦ :slight_smile:

I just find it easier to distinguish what is being presented through the bold colours than the shades of grey, easier to comprehend I guess, at a glance, the relevance of the different sections etc, but I get your point.

The O|D ER-301 Frequently Asked Questions section of the wiki is now officially published.

I have been responsible for the majority of the work on this and I have to say it would have been a lot tougher without all the excellent contributions made by everyone here, this includes the questions asked as well as the answers given - so a HUGE thank you for all your contributions - you are all awesome!

:bow:

@odevices has assessed my work and has made excellent modifications, additions and adjustments where needed, so we are hoping that it has reached an acceptable standard and will be met with general approval.

ā€¦but of course, we would also like to welcome any feedback or additional contributions where appropriate.

Thank you! :cat:

Hereā€™s the link:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/FAQ

12 Likes

And thank you @anon83620728 for all of your hard work creating this FAQ. :bow:

3 Likes

Wow nice job! Looks great!

1 Like

Itā€™s really nice to have this all in one place, @anon83620728. When I joined ā€œclub ER-301ā€, the thread count in the forum was small enough to basically read all the posts in a couple hours spread out over a few days, and sort of assimilate all the existing knowledge. I think that would be pretty daunting for anyone who jumped in now. Nice work!

2 Likes

Cheers :smiley:

Having been here right from the beginning I have followed everything along the way, but yep - I went through it all again to write the FAQ hehe :joy:

The weirdest thing was seeing posts Iā€™d made myself that I initially had absolutely no recollection of posting, it was almost like a different person made them. Iā€™d always remember doing it eventually, but some of them did take some time before the memories came backā€¦ Iā€™m getting old!

1 Like

I have experienced that before. Kind of surreal. ā€œDid somebody hack my account? Oh, no that was me. ā€œ

1 Like

Another swing of the pickaxeā€¦:pick:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Limiter

2 Likes

Looks great!

Looks great; learned a few things here about the limiter. Really like the notes and added tips.

One thing I frequently use a limiter for outside of the ER-301 is increasing perceived loudness. I will often do this in a DAW by putting a limiter on the master track, setting the limit param (not avail on 301) to around -0.1 dB, and then increasing the input gain, just to get the perceived volume of the track up to be comparable with professionally produced/mastered music (at the cost of squashing some dynamics).

Would you say thatā€™s a fair use of the limiter in the ER-301, whether on a master track or individual voice? Guess that might fall under ā€˜gain stagingā€™?

What do you think is the difference between the ER-301 limiter and your DAW limiter?

Interesting article.

The one in my DAW has a few additional controls, and the nomenclature of the controls is different, but I guess they fundamentally do the same thing. :slight_smile:

Attack and Decay time and ratio are the obvious omissions, I wouldnā€™t imagine that the ER-301 limiter would be able to match your DAW limiter without these.

Although you could probably work the ratio out with the pre and post gains, itā€™s just not explicit.

Iā€™ve been trying to think of a way that you could patch this up and intuitively it should be possible with the currently available units, and also side chain compression too.

Iā€™m not sure if i am overthinking it, I havenā€™t tried it, but a combination of the ADSR, VCA, Limiter and Mixer units could get you quite a bit of the way there.

Iā€™d be interested to read about and hear any attempts to do this!

I get the sense that you knew that already. So what was the question? :spy: Are you asking how to replicate your DAWā€™s limiter with the ER-301 limiter?

1 Like

Even if @Joe isnā€™t, I would like to know :smiley: