First gig with ER-301 tonight- constant crashes

Hey folks,
well I didn’t have a good time tonight with the ER-301. The gig went great, but every time I looked over at the 301 it had rebooted (I guess?) and was an empty patch. I’d reload the patch and play for a while and come back to the 301 and it would be empty again. A couple times at first it turned itself off (I guess?) and I had to turn the rack off and back on again.

I am brand new to the ER-301 so I’m not trying to blame the module or anything, but I do need to check a couple things:

I am using the latest (unstable) firmware.

I have the 301 in a Skiff that is powered by one of those Synthrotek DIY power supplies. I should have plenty of 12V. The 5V on the supply doesn’t work so I’m using the regulator switch on the ER-301 to power it from 12V.

The guy that I bought it from told me it needed 5V, but I saw the switch and so I’ve been using the regulator. Is that an issue?

Any other specific things I should be looking for to know why this would have happened? i don’t think that I’m using anything in my patch that requires the latest firmware, so if that is the issue I can probably g back to the stable version.

Thanks!

Please, Check out this thread and report back.

One low-hanging fruit: check that the power cable is tightly seated in the 301. For me, that socket is slightly less of a snug fit than I’d like, and can see it getting loose to the point of losing contact intermittently.

All good suggestions. :+1:

Although the (reported) ESD-induced reboots have been caused by touching the encoder. It sounds like @mbirame is not touching the ER-301 when it reboots.

Also this:

isn’t quantitative enough for me to not have doubts. I’d prefer actual numbers of capacity and usage.

The guy gave you incorrect information. Using the REG setting is the recommended setting.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Power_for_Revision_7

Also, it is curious that the reboots came up during the gig but supposedly(?) not when you were preparing in your studio?

Hi guys. Thanks for the thread. To be clear-the issue never happened when I touched the knob, so it’s not the static issue. For the vast majority of the time the whole skiff is just sitting there not being used. I’m sending audio via ADAT in to an ES-8 and then just feeding the 301 where I have a step-filter type patch. That feeds in to a pair of VCAs and then back out the ADAT. So I’m not doing very much wiggling at all, and I only am sending audio to the rack occasionally. The issue was that I’d look over and see that the 301 had just rebooted itself (my patch is a stereo patch, and it was just on the homescreen in mono ch 1 output mode). So a few times throughout the set I reloaded the patch, but after a while I just stopped using it.

Also, it is curious that the reboots came up during the gig but supposedly(?) not when you were preparing in your studio?

Correct. But it’s a venue I play all the time, and everything is powered from the same outlet and everything else is working fine. I’ll say the gig was two hours, and I probably have used the module a total of 60 minutes before now, so I wouldn’t say that this issue won’t happen in the studio. I just haven’t tested it enough. I mainly wanted to check here to see if it was obviously a firmware issue, etc…

isn’t quantitative enough for me to not have doubts. I’d prefer actual numbers of capacity and usage.

That PS has like 2A of +12v. I’m not powering any other digital modules, and it’s only 108 hp of stuff…not to say that that PS doesn’t suck. I twas a DIY build but the damn 5V was a SMD part that they didn’t let you DIY, and if course that was the one part that doesn’t work. But the ±12 has always worked for me and I built it and I feel confident with my build, other modules have always worked fine, etc, etc

As far as I know the latest firmware has not been reported (yet) to cause reboots. We had some freezes though (where you had to reboot the module manually).
So it seems unlikely that the firmware would be ‚guilty‘…

Can you rule out that something or someone had touched
The Encoder knob?
Did you make any changes to your case between studio and gig?
Do you have an alternative power solution at your hands?
Do you use flying bus cables? The weight of a fully patched one can pull at the bus connector when being transported…

Right now I‘d suspect either the last possibility or a weak/faulty power solution. ( and i‘d Perform the recommended encoderhousinggroundinghack just to be on the safe side…)

Can you rule out that something or someone had touched
The Encoder knob?
yes

Did you make any changes to your case between studio and gig?
No, but like I said the 301 is brand new to me, so I won’t say this issue wouldn’t also happen to me elsewhere.

Do you have an alternative power solution at your hands?
Im my studio case, sure, but I sure hope I don’t need to buy a whole new power module for my skiff just for this. :frowning:

Do you use flying bus cables? The weight of a fully patched one can pull at the bus connector when being transported…
No, it’s a bus board.

With all this said- it’s great to hear the firmware is probably not the issue. I will check the bus cable-maybe it’s lose or something. I’ll also test it more in my studio to see if the issue happens again. Then I’ll have more info to share.

1 Like

Might as well throw in heat as another possibility. Also, related to shallow skiffs that are stuffed with ribbon cables pressed against the backs of modules: there is a black reset button on the CPU board of the ER-301. Make sure a ribbon cable is not pressing up against it. It takes non-trivial force to trigger it but if you have really stuffed things into a shallow skiff then it is possible.

Has heat been an issue in the past? I’m in Texas and it’s a hot dance party. The module does get warm on the face. I suppose I could put in some blank panels with vents if that’s s known issue. I haven’t had problems in the past. I swapped out a piston honda (digital) for this but everything else is analog and I haven’t had heat issues before with this case and done lots of shows with it.

I’ve never had a confirmed case of overheating but there is a limit so it is worth being aware of it.

Hmm. If you had heat problems with the Piston Honda which only uses 140mA then that does not bode well for the ER-301 at 280mA.

One other-probably dumb question-the patch itself couldn’t cause this could it? I definitely kluged this together and it could probably be refactored and done more elegantly. It’s a few filters, and being triggered with fast 1/16th note gates several sub patches (sorry I’m still learning the lingo) all feeding a single stereo output.

PS I didn’t have heat problems with the PH

Ah ok. I see that I misread your post.

It is certainly a possibility. You can post the chain preset here and I can try it out if you like.

1 Like

Ok-thank you. I will get back to the studio tomorrow night hopefully and I’ll take a look and see if I can see anything. Thank you for your help!

But just to confirm:

You get no crashes for the first approx. 60 minutes of usage and then after that it crashes repeatedly with the time between crashes much less than 60 minutes?

No-tonight it was crashing regularly. After a few minutes right at the beginning I noticed it was off completely. I turned the rack off and then back on. That didn’t happen for the rest of the night, but maybe every 10-15 minutes I’d see I had to reload the patch. I gave up after a few times. It was primarily a DJ set so it wasn’t essential and I couldn’t really deal with it. Who knows-maybe somehow the bus cable is a little lose or something.

Before tonight I’ve only used the module for certainly less than 60 minutes each time and I never had this issue that I noticed-but to be honest during those times I was making patches so if it did reset I may not have even noticed.

Good news-the issue was an intermittent connection that was happening with the screw in power adapter. It’s something I had never noticed before but the screw in is slightly different inside diameter than the normal adapter. I was hanging my headphones off it and making the connection intermittent. It’s probably been happening all this time but the 301 is the only module I have that “reboots” so I never noticed. Thanks again for all the help!

7 Likes

That’s a relief! Good job finding the problem.

you are lucky to have the 301 so! the fact it reboots made you aware of that, continually switching the power on\off might have ended in damaging some of your modules in the long run!
happy ending :slight_smile: