Freeze / beat repeat / stutter unit?

Howdy buddies,

Can anyone share their favourite way to implement beat repeat / stutter effect for an external signal going in-n-out of the ER-301? Sort of like Traktor / Kammeral’s beat repeat (alternative clouds fw) that u can just punch in. Tempo synced divisions / multiples would be a major plus!

1 Like

I imagine something like this could be built around the Grain Delay unit.

just make a looper and feed it stacked triggers for overdub!

1 Like

ill take a stab at this tomorrow. Gave me an idea for a video :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Awesome!! I can’t wait =}

Recording it now :slight_smile:

2 Likes
22 Likes

Thanks so much Neil !!! Made it so easy to understand step by step for me.

Having lots of fun on this modulated freezing, think it’s overclocked the cpu in some way >:] Light speed!

1 Like

Excellent, thank you!

1 Like

As with all of your other “Getting Started…” videos, this is excellent. There is an off-label usage of this unit, too: Send whatever audio you want into the buffer, engage the freeze/stutter at mult=1, mute the incoming audio with the buffer playing, feed in sparse random gates to disengage and reengage the freeze. Instant Basinski-esque “Disintegration Loops” as the audio is slowly eroded by the silent overdubs. Moving the mult around or changing the reset clock rhythmically with the gates can make for interesting deletion patterns.

13 Likes

This is excellent, seems like an awful lot of functionality with very few units and some really good demonstrations of how the gain staging and utility functions can really work for you in the ER-301! Thank you @NeilParfitt

I also really like the disintegration technique idea @kieselguhrkid

:slight_smile:

A further refinement of the disintegration loop technique. Patch in a DC offset (or just adjust the bias with the encoder) to control the start point of the Dub Looper and turn the mult on the Tap Tempo controlling Reset to its maximum. By disengaging freeze and recording silence into the buffer, you can use the modulation of the start point to more accurately delete pieces of the audio of duration clock/mult. Looking at the scope for the Dub Looper during this process really helps target sections for disintegration.

5 Likes

i have struggled with creating useful custom units and this video has helped me immensely. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey Neil! thanks for this video, i was lusting for a data bender that i cannot afford so i’m happy i found your tutorial,

i’ve had the 301 for a while now but have not yet built a custom unit,

I tried building this one on V6 following it step by step but somehow it was not as responsive your example, I can see at the time of this video your unit had a firmware that i’m not familiar with (i had V5 and then upgraded to 6) however i’ve intuitively completed it anyways regardless of firmware and name of utilities , up until i had to add a bipolar vca on the freez control (7m17s on this video,) some how i could see the signal post vca for some reason and then it all went south , in the end i could hear some sort of repetition but it was quite low volume sounds, i’m not so sure what could that be, do you have any suggestions?

Dom

HI Dom! Yes I did that video a long time ago on 0.3 OS - I’d have to see your unit to know for sure what’s going on. If it the VCA is passing signal when you have nothing controlling it - make sure it’s set to 0, so it’s closed until you open it from another control signal.