Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

FX processor for the ER-301 - Rainmaker?

+1 I find 2 pole filters a lot more useful for taming sounds than their 4 pole siblings. Especially if you think of them more in terms of mixing than adding character.

1 Like

Hello 301 lovers!
This has me all sorts of intrigued. I’m running out of cpu at the moment using too much Freeverb. To paraphrase wildly - there’s no such thing as a Freeverb :nerd_face:

Hugs for all

1 Like

I made a video about how to do this a while back.

3 Likes

I am a big fan of both delays and reverbs. A lot of what attracted me to the ER-301 was how adept and versatile it is in the whole area of delays, loopers, samplers, granular etc. Somehow Rainmaker never got my attention, but I loved Tyme Sefari mkII (aside from always being stuck with a low sample rate), and was looking into DLD or Reflex LiveLoop as an alternative when I decided on the ER-301 instead.

But I really don’t like the character of Freeverb at all – so I would almost agree that reverb isn’t one of ER-301’s strong points.

I generally prefer Erbe-Verb, Chase Bliss Dark World, or a number of VST plugins (all of the Valhalla DSP verbs and AudioThing Fog Convolver in particular).

However… in the ER-301 you can patch your own interesting psuedo-reverbs from delays, granular, allpass filters, etc. Coming up with a realistic, universally useful reverb through that method is a whole black art / mad science in itself, but coming up with something that complements the specific material you’re working with at the time is possible and rewarding :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I picked up a Rainmaker recently. In my opinion, it’s a brilliant, fun, deep module. I’m using it in pretty much every patch. It’s probably not for everyone, but well worth checking out some of the videos (from Mylar, DivKid) about it if you haven’t. Pairs very nicely with the 301.

0 Likes

I’ll second that - Rainmaker won’t be for everyone, but it will do everything from very simple delays to extreme sound design transformations rendering the original signal unrecognisable.

The resonator is superb - anyone who knows me will be amazed to hear that I think it’s better than Elements in some regards.

It’s super easy to program, there’s tons of headroom that allows full on feedback sculpting, the early problems of it being one of those modules you dare not touch after you have set it up to have a good sound are gone and it’s very playable.

And yes, it pairs extremely well with the ER-301 - a perfect match even!

It’s a keeper :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You have spoken the magic words. I’ll look for some demos.

1 Like

I had and sold a rainmaker because after a while it just didn’t speak to me. Felt a bit too cold. Not to say it isn’t interesting, but I ended up preferring the sound of something simple yet controllable like the magneto.

In truth though I’d really like to get better at emulating the tape slurring effect of magneto.
I’d like to hear some methods for adjusting delay times in the 301 and having it pitch the sample along with the delay time change. I’ve managed to do the saturation/degradation tied to delay time length but the pitch stuff still doesn’t work well for my ears.

0 Likes

Essentially an improved version of micro clouds.
Already got 2 of them with clouds parasites, that will give you an Oliverb and a resonestor mode and more…

https://mqtthiqs.github.io/parasites/clouds.html

1 Like

I am still to build my monsoon, so here goes: it it possible to install parasites on it?

0 Likes

Now that I’ve watched the official videos and listened to a few masterful recordings from users, I’m duly impressed.

And now I have a tentative plan to “finish” my case, which is a scary thought :anguished: Rainmaker and Zadar in; my second Rings and a couple of my less-used small modules out.

But I think I’ll wait until Knobcon (and hope someone has a Rainmaker I can try) because this closes off most other possible paths…

1 Like

yes, but
you’ll have to install modified versions of the firmware. available are Stock clouds, Clouds Parasites, and Jkammerl beat repeat Firmwares

0 Likes

I totally understand this, but as with all modules, it’s just one part, it can sound however you want it to, I have even had it sounding very similar to the Verbos which is anything but cold out of the box, but that’s kinda all it does (exaggerating slightly, but it does have a very specific sound) which is why I ended up selling it.

Each to their own hey :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, great, I didn’t know that, thanks!

0 Likes

Something I discovered with reverberation recently is that EQing the reverb tail can significantly alter the perceived quality. A high shelf rolled down two or three dB will do wonders on many otherwise “cheap” sounding 'verbs.

1 Like

It depends what do you expect from a FX processor: If you want a quick way of adding some effects (filtering, delays, reverb, distortion, etc.), I would say you will be better with something like Lyra-8 FX, Clouds, and so on. Though in my opinion there is no magic box that excels at everything, and for every effect, there are always different takes, tastes…

If you already have lots of pedals, consider getting something like the Harvestman’s Black Locust.

But if you are looking for an eurorack module that will keep you as busy as the ER-301 (probably doubling the amount of time you spend using your modular)… with the possibility of transforming any sound, going from subtle to beyond recognition, there is nothing like the Rainmaker. You can save and load presets, but even then (in my view) the Rainmaker requires one to spend time with it, sculpting the sound. In my experience, when I just want a quick effect, the Rainmaker is just too much.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard too many great results from the comb section yet – have you guys, by any chance. recorded something that you like that utilizes that part of the Rainmaker? Would love to hear.

0 Likes

I worked out a better plan to make space and sold a bunch of gear last night (maybe a bunch of people just got their tax refunds?) so I’ve got a Rainmaker on the way now.

@Joe and @kel provided the bait and Mylar Melodies set the hook :laughing:

4 Likes

Us both :roll_eyes:

Had it some time in the past, but others’ results show I didn’t really get it back then.

2 Likes

Be interested to hear what you think of it. Based on your posts, I think you will really enjoy it.

1 Like