Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

German Import / VAT fees - ER-301

Would anybody who has received a 301 in Germany happen to remember what your import/vat fees were? I’m getting conflicting information. I speak German, but deciphering cryptic German government text is beyond my abilities.

2d

0 Likes

I’ve got my ER-301 two weeks ago. I paid 169€ in total.

2 Likes

Wow Germany that hurts. I’ve never understood why Germany puts such high taxes on intellectual goods that are used in the creating of derivative works such as software, movies, music, and other arts which would then seem to have the effect of making these tools less accessible to a wider bunch of innovators.

0 Likes

Paid pretty much that in GBP - I would imagine it’s similar across Europe!

0 Likes

It is expensive. Depending on where my package is kept (the customs office it is being held in, I mean.) I can get the fee waived, but I do sympathize with Europeans and the extra bloat all of their purchases incur.

If I have to drive to Koeln, for example, I’ll probably just pay the fee.

Based on the amount you paid taichber you paid VAT and a import fee. Are they charging for the total sum of the ER-301, or the cost minus the shipping fee (which I estimate to be around $40-75)? Doesn’t seem like much but when VAT is 19% it adds up quick.

2d

0 Likes

It’s 19% VAT + about 3% customs duty.

0 Likes

are there any vat exemptions if you’re running a business?

Here in Canada I can claim any taxes paid on equipment used in my business, and i’ll get it back or owe less depending on how the business is doing.

0 Likes

Oh I bet there is something along those lines. I found the customs regulations like trying to read greek. I imagine all the business laws and exceptions are just like that. Germany’s industry and manufacturing are legendary though, so there has to be some pretty great incentives to help bolster that industry.

2d

0 Likes

as with almost all customs agencies, you’re basically at the mercy of their mood that day.

0 Likes

Mine cost around €190 if i remember… 18% duty in Malta is pretty low for Europe. Then i had an inevitable extra administration fee!

0 Likes

Yeah the only burden it would seem now is waiting for all of the government entities to do what they need to do. It sat in Frankfurt’s custom office for 5 days, and is now sitting in Koblenz for Rheinland Pfalh’s custom’s office. (federal and now state customs) Who knows how long they are going to take to assess the fee, etc.

In the future, I’ll be definitely going another route.

2d

0 Likes

163 Euros (today) 5 days for the customs stuff, which is pretty fast.

2 Likes

Here is to hoping the custom folks in Koblenz don’t take forever. It is so close!!!

2d

0 Likes

I ordered my ER-301 yesterday and hope to ship it to Belgium without having to pay VAT on top. When I buy equipment in Europe, VAT is waivered through my business but I don’t have a clue how it works when buying from Japan. Does anyone have experience in that department? Is it enough to have a European vat number on the invoice?

(I’m still waiting for my purchase confirmation email by the way… so I can’t officially start counting the days)

0 Likes