Global sync/tempo unit

it would be great to have a global tempo unit, a bit like the tap tempo but maybe with optional bpm view and start, stop and reset inputs. :dizzy_face:

I agree. Global tempo and then other units that can output divisions/multiplications of that tempo.

If you want a global clock then please create a global chain and patch it where you would like.

On the other hand, instead of a global clock, I could warm to the concept of a chain-wide clock (with sub-chains inheriting their parent’s clock unless overridden).

5 Likes

This would be useful if there was a unit that would serve as a clock divider/multiplier. Even with one modulatable (that is not a word, is it?) parameter going from long divisions through zero to fast multiplications would be super!

1 Like

ok yes i might have explained this a bit unclear. global, or indeed as you mentioned chain-wide clock would have some sort of master control(bpm, hz, start, stop, reset), and it would link to subchains automatically but with an option of division/multiplication. sort of like a global chain, so you could link the master clock to a clocked delay for example but there would be an option to mult or div the master clock on the receiving end.

May I interpret this as meaning that you just want a clock divider/multiplier unit? :thinking:

1 Like

yes, but also the possibility to stop a clock and therefore automatically a whole chain for example. the tap tempo serves as my master clock now and i’m stoping it with a vca so that triggered the wish of a more elaborate “master” clock. i first thought that an admin menue global clock would be nice and every module could link up to this with div/mult option, but maybe i’m completely misguided here and this is not necessary at all. it’s in the end a thing about convenience.

and i thought of it as not a combination of two units, eg master clock as send and on the receiving end a mult/div, but more like the master clock spits out every multiplication and division already under the hood so to speak and on the receiving end, eg if you have a trigger input you could link it up to the master clock and select the mult/div that you want…

Could you please explain the motivation for doing it this way?

sure, it’s convenience only and it would clean up patches; right now i use a tap tempo as global clock for all my chains. if i now want to sync sample triggering i need to mult or div with another unit inside the trigger. if i have lots of samplers this means lots of mult/div units. if however the global clock already spits out the mult/div clocks it is only a matter of linking up. also, since it would only be one master clock unit, syncing and resetting would be easier too.

Hmm, so this still sounds like one of those things that global chains were created for. For example, once the clock multiplication/division unit is available then you would do something like this:

1. Create a global chain which outputs your master clock. Call it “x1”.
  2. Create a global chain for each division or multiplication that you want to use in the rest of your patch. Give them names like “x4” or “/4”. Each of these global chains would use the “x1” global as its source.
  3. Now in your global sources, you have a list of clocks (all derived from one master clock) that you can choose from and use anywhere in your patch that needs a clock.
1 Like

+1 for a clock divider/multiplier unit. I have a Doepfer A-160-2 clock divider siting right next to my 301 in the case to handle division duties (which I use as a reset source for my loopers) and it would be great to be able to eliminate this and have something internal that would perform the same duties :heart_eyes:

yes, of course your example works perfectly! my idea was just to have an elaborate clock module which spits out several clocks at the same time, but i’m perfectly fine with the clock + mult/div combo!

question(perhaps a silly one):
in the upcoming clock div\mult will we be able to modulate the division\multiplication factor?

Absolutely.

5 Likes

great :slight_smile:

Can’t wait!

:heart_eyes:

Don’t forget non-integer multiplication/division! :wink:

You can achieve non-integer multiplication/division by combining multiplication and division.

I think using non-integers instead of discrete numbers for the controler makes it difficult to apply CV modulation to time division because you pretty soon lose the connection to your master clock. There are nearly endless possible values in between discrete numbers.

You still can get pretty crazy with uneven division factors though.

2 Likes