Grain Stretch pitch scaling

I wanted to ask @odevices about pitch scaling on grain stretch

From my experience with Live, I remember I could change the pitch after time stretching the sample and it scaled pretty good while maintaining the sample speed. After testing the grain stretch unit with relatively long samples (3-4 seconds) that contain a lot of information, like say a drum loop with a bassline, I have realized the pitch scaling doesn’t work that well. More than the pitch scaling, the sample gets “rubbery” with a lot of artifact presence but it doesn’t really pitch scale very well.

Is this intended this way and it needs to get better over time or it’s just that I am doing something wrong ? ( Please take in consideration that I am a total sampling noob )

Ableton time-stretch is not real-time right? :thinking: Also, the CPU that you are running Ableton on is probably at least 30-50 times more powerful than the ER-301 CPU, so that opens up a lot more possibilities (and raw grain count).

Conclusion: I wouldn’t hold your breath for a time-stretch on the ER-301 that rivals what a multi-million 200-person company could deliver on a PC in non-real-time. :grin:

2 Likes

@odevices I don’t remember, honestly … I was talking about past experimentation with Live 9 when it came out, but I don’t remember if it was realtime or not. Would it be possible to achieve something similar non-real-time on the er-301 ?

It is definitely technically possible, assuming you don’t care how long it takes to process the file. However, I am not confident that I will personally have enough time to produce something that rivals Ableton’s algorithm. State-of-the-art time-stretch involves the combination of 3 or 4 different algorithms each tuned to different kinds of material. You can spend your whole life on it.

1 Like

@odevices thanks Brian, understood :slight_smile: