Grid quantizer resolution for bit depth reduction

I was doing some bit depth reduction with the grid quantizer and was hoping the maximum resolution could be the same as the internal bit depth so you can go from no reduction to minimal bit depth.

Similarly I was using a sample and hold to do sample rate reduction, triggering the s&h with a joe’s pulse and even at it’s fastest speed there is very noticeable aliasing, even with a lpf in front. Is there a way to do sample rate reduction at a rate closer to the internal sampling frequency?

Have you tried editing the controls so that the ranges go higher than the defaults?

Of course. I always overlook that area. That works great for getting transparent bit depth reduction, but I couldn’t get a setting for sample and hold that wasn’t pretty obvious.

little advice: you can use a sine osc instead of a pulse, it triggers anyway (there is a comparator in the trig input of the s&h, so it just needs a cyclic value that goes above the threshold). just to spare some cpu cycle.
i confirm your experience: when i was experimenting with it i edited the frequency control of sine osc to have it reach 48khz. anyway i found out that going up with frequency the signal got better up to a point, then it started aliasing again, while i expected it to just get better and better up to a point where it was back at original quality.

1 Like

Just chiming in to say that it makes no sense to try to push a sine osc above 24kHz when your sampling rate is 48kHz. :wink:

Anti-aliased S&H is a non-trivial algorithm. I would just arrange for a cross-fade to the original dry signal at the point where S&H is not adding any value for you.

2 Likes

That makes sense, there are spots in there that are almost completely clean, especially with a lpf after. The aliasing sound is really interesting, at some rates the audio is completely distorted, and just a few notes away you get pretty clean reproduction.

1 Like

ahahhaa but, of course! i didn’t think about that :slight_smile:
mr nyquist, i suppose…

I think for the most part I am happy that the digital audio limitations are what they are. I really enjoy the noise engineering modules that change their sample rate based on the incoming pitch so the aliasing tracks with the pitch. I also very much enjoy chiptune music and the sounds made with rudimentary digital audio hardware. There are times when it is bothersome though.

1 Like

i sold my tyme sefari mk2 expanded after i received the 301 because you know, i can do that in the 301… well i miss it a lot for its ability to manipulate bit depth and sampling rate (at the cost of scary burst of full scale noise very often lolz). i’m really fond of the harvestman aesthetics in this regard.

1 Like

I have been thinking about the immediacy of controls, and how my creativity is often limited by what comes to mind while making music. I find most of the dissatisfaction I have while making sounds and music is that I have to think of something interesting to do to get an interesting sound. Some of my favorite modules and instruments are ones with a specific sound design already, like the Noise Engineering Iteritas modules, and the Elekton Model: Cycles. One of the things I love about the Model: Cycles is that it is a collection of algorithms that are made with each other in mind, each for it’s own purpose, but each is still versatile. I love the Digitone but there are just so many options for shaping the sound I never get to some of them.

The ER-301 is even more like this. I find myself doing the same fairly basic things with it over and over, and rarely getting really deep with it. The ER-301 is capable of most of the things I can think of, but I am not capable of thinking of interesting ideas for it a lot of the time, which leads to it being a mixer, simple effects, and recorder most of the time, which is the glue that holds the modular together, but I don’t do the wild things I thought I would when I first got it.

I think when I first got into modular (which was actually my entry into making music) I prioritized the capability to do a wide range of things rather than honing a specific set of tools I like. The ER-301 is absolutely the king of capability, luckily it is also flexible enough to build the tools you need.

1 Like

suggestion:
give yourself a finite amount of time, like one month.
try to dedicate 10 minutes a day to patching something new on the er-301.
something really new, unusual. think sideways. save bits and pieces as presets. come back to them the day after. see if they inspire you to add something else (a modulation source? two modulation sources each with a vca, but with inverted controls, so you have a rudimentary modulation crossfader?)
find a good resource for algorhithms\patching ideas\synthesis methods.
my fave is Rob Hordijk synthesis workshop i linked in my Bengiolino custom unit post.
try to put those ideas in practice using the 301. (formant oscillator? chaos modulations? analog shift registers? you name it!).
always try to record something out of your excercises.

if this works, next homework will be: each day try to create a novel instrument with the 301, from scratch, and record something with it!

2 Likes