Hold mode?

Hi!
Was daydreaming yesterday what the upcoming hold mode could be? Has @odevices revealed what this is yet?

My guess is locked settings almost like parameter slices you can sequence between?

3 Likes

The master of secrets appears loathe to share when the secret sauce is ready until it’s ready. He did reference recently that he’s on a new iteration of what it could be as he’s on a new tangent, but there were no details beyond hold being an upcoming feature that is still being carefully considered.

If I had to guess I’d say we’ll see something about it in v0.4.12 unless .12 ends up being an emergency fix for something else.

I’m getting stoked to find out. Seems like the firmware master has been working pretty hard on this one.

I thought hold mode was on…sorry…hold until 0 .5?

Did I imagine that?

I think it was nearly ready to go some weeks ago, so I don’t think it’s been deferred until .5… Hopefully, this breath-holding is starting to get taxing :smiley:

is there an explanation, tutorial, manual on the hold mode somewhere?

4 Likes

thanks joe, i think i still don’t really understand it but i will experiment!

3 Likes

He he…and i thought I was the only one! :grinning:

I wonder if you guys are imagining that hold mode is more than it is? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes
18 Likes

I’m now wondering if Hold modes can be triggered by the 16N Faderbank using a slider via i2c.

1 Like

Nope. Controlled from the 301 panel only.

All patching is done in the ‘edit’ mode.

Great video, Joe! :star_struck: On a personal level, seeing someone else use the hold mode is quite gratifying because I kind of went out on a limb with this mode.

A few comments that occurred to me while watching, if I may:

• A’ is pronounced A-prime, A’’ is pronounced A-double-prime and so on. This is not general knowledge but rather is used in mathematics to quickly name a derived object while maintaining a reference to the original object: A’ is derived from A, A’’ is derived from A’, and so on.
  • I noticed that you were unpinning and immediately pinning controls in ‘edit’ mode in order to set a PinSet’s target values. In the ‘hold’ mode you can use the command ‘Reset Target’ to accomplish the same thing. The command is available on both the PinSet (to reset all targets) and on each Pin.
  • You can also rename the Pins which often have duplicate names. This is best done before cloning the PinSet.
  • Firing the gate located in the header of a PinSet will fire all of the pinned gates (contained in the set) simultaneously.
  • Mixed PinSet’s that have both continuous (fader-based) controls and on/off (gate) controls are also possible. In this case, the PinSet’s header will contain both a fader and gate control.
  • As indicated by the panel graphics, pressing ENTER in ‘hold’ mode is actually called pressing COMMIT.

Hopefully these points add rather than distract. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

amazing video. thanks so much. question i had was, I’m a bit confused as to the need to clone a pin set to a different set value, and how it relates to the morphing linear slider…If you have, for instance, three pin set clones, how does the 301 determine where to move the values if you use the “morph” function on A versus A’ versus A’’? I gues my question is, what is the 0 state versus 100% state relate to for the morph faders on each of these three preset states? (long live the king) :metal::laughing:

1 Like

Each PinSet can only encode one set of target values. So if you want more than one set of target values (Joe also called them presets) then you need to create more PinSets to hold them.

The 0% state is always the current state (snapped when you start morphing). The 100% state is always the target state for the given PinSet. I think what confuses some people is that they are used to A-B morphing where both the starting point and the ending point are fixed and pre-defined. However, in this case, we have *-B morphing, where only the end point is fixed and the starting point is just where you happen to be when you started the morph.

I imagine each PinSet as a bookmark in parameter space and you can pull the contained pinned controls from whatever values they might have at that time towards this bookmarked location using the PinSet’s master fader.

7 Likes

Thanks Joe for your time creating this videos and units … Really thanks a lot!!

1 Like

When I first used it, my thought was “this would be great if I gigged with the modular. But I don’t.” It has now occurred to me that even though I don’t gig, I do ‘play the modular’- even if the audience is someone on the other side of the world on YouTube, or even just me entertaining myself or horrifying my wife with weird modular sounds. :rofl: And also, this is a great tool for recording and also for exploring new sounds by morphing multiple parameters toward new targets.

They’re very helpful! One of the best parts about making ER-301 videos is that I usually end up learning a thing or six myself. In particular (I just tried it) the Reset Target command is way more efficient and enjoyable than the way I was doing it. And somehow I missed that you can rename the Pins.

There’s a lot to Hold Mode, really, and now that I’m wrapping my head around it, it’s very well thought out and useful! It took a while for me to grok how it could be useful to me personally, but I think hold mode and me are going to be very good friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is indeed my source of confusion. Thanks for the clarification.