How many effects has the integrated DSP?

Thank goodness it’s a noble gas.

2 Likes

Can we get a moderator in here to nip this in the bud? I’ll certainly be happier when these bad science jokes Argon for good!

4 Likes

I must have, or I didn’t know in the first place… I can’t remember!

Hey, it will only be a few years before the cpu is doubled, trebled, quadrupled… there’s no limit other than what the chip manufacturers can rustle up right?

This is awesome, thanks !!

i don’t care at all about convulatory reverb. any reverb would do for me. just size, decay, etc would make me a happy camper.
as would a pitch shifter.
or tape delay.
or distortion.

3 Likes

i agree this would be great

Any educated guesses – would a reverb be within the realm of possible things? I think a basic (non-convolution) reverb shouldn’t be THAT hungry for processing power?

I think it’s totally possible and feasible. I’ve made a pseudo verb effect using grains and a bunch of things and I think CPU was around 40%. Something dedicated and hard coded for this exact effect/task would definitely be leaner.

3 Likes

I think these type of effects would be great, a transient shaper for drums would be handy to have as well, like the hardware unit that SPL made or the NI transient plug in.

You can kind of fudge a pitch shifter now with a looper and sample player - a bit glitchy but kinda works.

I have no idea what processing power these have compared to the 301 but clouds (stock and parasites) and the Disting mk3&4 have reverb, both have modulatable parameters.
I’m sure we could get a lush reverb.

Pitch Shifting Delay, set to Wet with a 0ms delay might be better sans the glitches! :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m sure all these kind of FX are doable… i.e.: the Qubit RT-60 and similar offer decent effects and I don’t think they have CPU’s anywhere near as fast as the 301 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I imagine it is certainly possible, but how difficult is it to go into FFT freeze type effects?

I really like how Clouds can ‘slow down’ or freeze sound sources, and was just wondering if it’s a plausible addition to the 301.

Definitely possible

https://forum.orthogonaldevices.com/t/custom-unit-ultraviolet-granular-clouds-clone

1 Like

Oh yes – sorry, should’ve been more specific! :slight_smile: I’m thinking of the ‘Spectral Madness’ mode:

“In this mode, the incoming signal is converted into “frames” of spectral data, that are stored, transformed, recombined, and resynthesized as a time-domain signal.”

So not the regular granular effects and the freeze associated with that, which I believe is what the brilliant Ultraviolet is doing.

1 Like

Ok, not familiar with that mode…but kind of assumed you knew of Ultraviolet (which is indeed fabulous!) but were talking of a dedicated unit.

1 Like

Spectral Madness is probably my favorite mode. I hope someone tackles it when the middle layer gets unlocked :slight_smile:

Here i used it extensively.

1 Like

Necroing an old thread here, but was looking at the Rossum Panharmonium and thinking to myself that it would’ve been cool if someone had made something similar to what it does with the 301. Anyone tried? :slight_smile:

1 Like