Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

How useful is the er-301 module for me?

Looking at the forum and intro video I think I’d be able to get the thing doing what I want, assuming it does what I want. I was looking at the qu-bit mixer and nebulae mk2, for panning and time-stretching functions especially, but it may be that these modules are too large for my rack. Ofc the er-301 has other uses, you can further modulate the signal, but there are less stereo audio outs if I abandon the plan to buy that mixer. Some quick questions if I may?

Can I assign functions to buttons, or is it all menu based?
Alternatively, is there a 2-6 hp euroack module with buttons that generate e.g. gate signals, and can the er-301 convert cv at different inputs, or of different values, into triggering different functions?
What is the practical difference between the G ins and the rest, besides that the former can’t handle audio signals?
I’m guessing that the module can combine and process CV inputs. Can I record cv or is it just audio? Can I take cv outputs?

Apologies for not yet knowing what this module does hardly at all.

Welcome! Here are some thoughts.

One thing that may not be apparent is that while there are only 4 outs, the ER-301 is an excellent mixer and can mix both signals that it receives from external connections as well as internally generated sound. So two of those outs could contain a complete stereo mix from multiple sources. But it does lack dedicated controls for mixing.

They are all menu based soft buttons- not user assignable to a dedicated function.

It’s 8 HP but a lot of people seem to like ADDAC Manual Gates if you want something in the case.
https://www.analoguehaven.com/addacsystem/addac304/

I prefer to have these external and use an Arturia Beatstep Pro and/or monome grid.

Yes

Have a look here for full details.
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Front_Panel

You can process and record CV too. The outputs are AC coupled, so not designed for CV out. Some have had success sending triggers out of them but that is not what they were designed for. You definitely would have trouble sending anything more than short triggers (gates, LFOs, envelopes, etc) out, and triggers are not a guarantee.

If you’ve not found them, you might want to peruse @NeilParfitt’s video series. Most of it was made on previous firmware, so there are a lot more features and things don’t look exactly the same. But it will still give you a sense of some of the amazing things you can do (and even more on newest firmwares).
http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Neil’s_Getting_Started_Videos

Thank you for the reply. I’m enjoying thinking about what this module would be capable of.

So I can record CV, and, given I can’t out it, I assume that recording can then be used with new setups?

I was in effect I think confused by what “soft gate” means wrt the G ins.

You can use the recorded CV pretty much anywhere inside the ER-301. Multiple places within the same patch, in different patches, etc. I think that’s what you mean?

I think that makes sense… the es disting also does cv record. How easy would it be to use a cv recording from the es-301 in the disting, or vice versa??

Do I need to code to use the module, or is it all accessible via the er-301’s screen?

OK I just realized that’s not true and makes little sense anyway. I was confused by the difference between the different ins.

I’m in! Ha.

Hmm, I have both - have never tried it. It should be pretty easy to go from disting to ER-301, and no computer should be needed. The ER-301 can browse the full file system on the SD card. So wherever the disting drops it, the ER-301 should be able to read it, all via the ER-301’s screen.

Going the other way might require you to create some kind of playlist for the disting. I’m not really up on the latest disting firmware. I know Os has done some stuff to eliminate the need for playlists. But I haven’t tried it out so not sure if it’s applicable here. Potentially these new disting enhancements would allow you to save from the ER-301 to a particular place on the SD card so the disting could read it without a playlist… :thinking: But I’m not sure.

Thanks, a useful starting point. May I ask whether one can access several audio / cv recordings at once, in the er-301?

I’ll then move onto the videos, thanks.

Plenty of user contributed audio and video here.

I think I misunderstood your question in my previous post.

Yes, really quite a few at once, and you can record and play back at the same time. You can play back from RAM or directly from the SD card. Really I guess the limits are CPU, RAM potentially the bus speed of the SD card, and how you’re going about playing the samples back. E.g. straight raw playback takes less CPU than using a granular player that is chopping the audio and altering playback speed and pitch of the grains.

But yeah, in short, you access quite a few buffers at once.

I don’t believe you did misunderstand, the answer seemed apt.

Thanks Joe! Sorry for my mistake in the OP, about outputs, and for making so many edits.

The playlist feature to the disting seems quite straightforward and I envision being able to switch cards round on the fly, just so long as one pre-empts what one will call the new recording made by the er-301. I will try it and update this thread… eventually

No worries. Hope you got the info you were looking for. If you have more questions ask away. There are a lot of smart, friendly folks on the forum here who can help answer.

absolutely not. you can do plenty of wonderful things with ready made objects, with user contributed custom units, you can create your own custom units, all of this at the GUI level, in a very easy and intuitive way (imho).
IF and only IF you want to spend some time learning basic LUA language, then you can create your own objects patching together low level c++ dsp blocks via coding, and then use them and share them with the community.

but that is a plus. the user experience is one of the best i ever encountered. i cannot code (i’m slowly learning supercollider and max msp and i have a long term plan of approaching lua and c++ in the future) but i already used the 301 in many many wonderful ways and created and shared a bunch of custom units myself

I’ve kinda learnt max/msp, in that I went thru all the tutorials and am confident enough to google stuff I might need to know. Not sure what use it will be in learning e.g. lua, beyond confidence; it seems more like music software (quite like a modular?) than programming. That’s a question, I’m lost

mmm no, i don’t think so. i think it’s more a general purpose coding language. the two cases i’ve seen it applied to music are er-301 and monome norns. not diffused as javascript i think but something like that (but i have really poor knowledge in this field so i might be mistaken)

I mean max/msp is more like music software than lua. Confusing!

ah ok, sorry.
mmm yes, very different environments, but max/msp is in fact programming. only you don’t do it at command line but with graphical objects.
sometimes this is helpful sometimes it is damn confusing (execution order anyone? :smiley: )
but surely some experience with max or similar languages helps you forming the coder mindframe (problem solving, taking care of efficiency, avoiding redundancy when possible, be aware of the relative scarcity of resources etc. etc…)

coder mindframe

Oh I agree, this is probably a thing. But then maybe patching modular synths in general help with the basics, also. I don’t remember a huge amount about max/msp, and never programmed anything at all sophisticated with it

Maybe “coder mindframe” + learning how it works = all what you need. Though I’d guess things get quicker and more intuitive with practice also

n00b question, but can the er-301 be used as a voltmeter

Yes, to within the accuracy of its ADC.