I2C communication with Monome Ansible?

I’m wondering if it would be possible to establish a generic access to Ansible outputs. That would be for any Ansible mode.
Just access the 4 TR and CV from the ER-301.

(edited to add forum category)

3 Likes

I don’t know how it would work. Ansible would have to be the master in this relationship and communicate changes to its outputs (the other way around wouldn’t work well, as you’d have to constantly poll the outputs). So the ansible firmware would have to be updated to always send its outputs to the ports of the ER-301. I guess you could hack the firmware to do that, but I don’t see how you could roll that out to the normal Ansible firmware, as I’m not sure how one would configure this stuff on ansible. I guess a “send outputs via I2C” on/off-switch could be possible?

Seems a bit weird to me. But it would be awesome. I’ve often thought that the teletype / ansible integration would be a lot better if you had interrupts for changes on the outputs of ansible instead of just being able to change the parameters of ansible.

1 Like

Do you mean ansible to er301 ? I’m not sure to understand correctly :slight_smile:

Pretty sure he means CV FROM Ansible TO ER-301.
It would not make any sense the other way around.

You right, but ansible as “ER301” CV/gate expander would be great too… CV or Gate/Trig out from the ER301 would be usefull in some case :wink:

I too wish that er-301 would send at least one gate or trigger out, so integrating the module with the system could work both ways.
But Brian stated repeatedly that he considers er-301 to be an ‘end of chain’ device. At least at the moment.

1 Like

The ER-301 is meant to create sound from the various signals typically found in a eurorack context. I do not advocate growing the ER-301 into this generic all-in-one device just because it has a CPU paired with some ADCs and DACs. It will just end up being that nauseating module that everyone suggests for everything. Let’s not go down that route and instead keep it unique, nuanced, and interesting! :nerd_face:

21 Likes

If you really need this, record a gate signal and play it as a clock for other modules…

I think it is meant in the sense of an end of slice signal for example to let an external sequencer choose the next slice without a gap or looping the slice - recording a gate after each slice would not work very well.

Maybe something could be figured out with envelope followers an comparation?

Generally I aggree that the ER-301 should not develop into an multipurpose CV generator.

Also I don’t see much benefit in connecting Ansible via i2c. Everything it can do is already patchable while tletype gives a lot more control slots.

2 Likes

let’s not forget the hardware doesn’t allow outputting CV.
also, sending cv from ansible to er301 would be more a job of hacking ansible to be i2c master and send those same messages that teletype emits.

…but the hardware would allow to put out a trigger pulse. :wink:

Why are there two:

Threads?
Can someone merge?

1 Like

Maybe because this one is about Ansible - I think it could just die. Maybe with the question if it is possible and the answer why it is not copied to the teletype thread and the rest to the ER-301 philosophy thread?

It was intentional, because this one was specifically about Ansible.

Poops, my bad.
Makes sense.

It’s already possible, you need only a 2 line teletype script

Teletype can read Ansible but Ansible cannot pass its CV and gates to teletype without being asked at point in time so this would not work unless you trigger teletype from Ansible to read the CV and then pass it to ER-301.

why not using a metro script which reads Ansible CV every ms.
Like:
SC.CV 1 CY.POS 1

1 Like

Yes, this would work of course! Maybe it’s because I am mainly using Kria and you could not transmit the gates in time this way. But anyway there are 16 CV inputs plus the new i2c features - I think there is nothing wrong with patchcables…

2 Likes

Yeah of course, but what if you don’t have a Teletype ?