I2C communication with Monome Teletype

Reflash the Teletype?

1 Like

Tried flashing the TT again to no avail, still crashes solid requiring a shutdown :frowning:

Urgh! Have you tried reinstalling the firmware for the ER-301 too?

If that doesn’t work I would contact the Monome and O|D!

Oh, one other thing, there was a change recently, the addressing was updated to resolve a potential conflict, are you using the most up to date (or both older) firmwares?

1 Like

change in addressing should not cause freezing (it would just cause er-301 to not respond to tt). this sounds like a hardware problem.

1 Like

Thanks guys but it seems to have been a connection issue solved after removing all i2c cables, swapping them between units, and reseating the i2c power bus.

3 Likes

teletype 2.3 release candidate is ready for testing, you can find it here: Teletype 3.0 - Monome - lines

it includes a change to the i2c addresses. if you update to teletype 2.3 rc1 you will need to change the address on er-301 as well, otherwise the SC ops won’t work.

on er-301 switch to admin, go to system settings, scroll all the way down to teletype settings and select:

• 0xB1 or 0x31 address - this will correspond to SC.CV 1…100
  • 0xB2 or 0x32 address - this will correspond to SC.CV 101…200

depending on your version of er-301 you might not see some of the addresses, but you’ll have at least one of the above. you do have to change it as the default address right now is 0xB0.

@odevices - could you remove 0xB0 and 0xB1 addresses when you get a chance? the new default address should be 0x31.

5 Likes

I’ll do this in the upcoming v0.4 firmware. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like

thank you! and i realized i made a mistake above, the new default address is 0x31, of course, not 0xB1.

1 Like

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Been thinking about this integration again and it would be really good to see the polling functionality find it’s way into this setup.

I guess it would work in exactly the same way as the TT polls the TELEX TXi modules.

It should be fast enough to follow envelopes and other CV data.

I could think of a lot of uses for this and it could provide rudimentary ways to output CV data from the ER-301, even just a little bit of functionality would open up a lot of possibilities :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This would definitely be a great enhancement!

tbh i don’t know if tt/er-301 is a really good mechanism for that. you’d want a high enough rate for teletype, beyond what the metro script can provide, and at this point teletype probably wouldn’t be doing anything else, so it seems like a really expansive way to just get some modulation going - what would be the benefit of using er-301/tt combo vs a dedicated env/lfo module?

I think it would be useful at the metro rate. Not so much for getting continuous control voltage out of the 301. But more for polling something in the 301 to make a decision in the scene. I.e. if SC.polled value > something, do something.

1 Like

Fair enough, I trust you know a LOT more about this than I do and I can see that it might gum up the works :smiley:

…but otherwise, yes, what @Joe said!

Even just one binary yes or no feedback point would be useful.

1 Like

yeah, implementing a polling op would be trivial on the teletype side of things. i just wanted to clarify that even with a polling op it won’t really be a proper solution for getting CVs out of er-301.

1 Like

Yes, this would be great - firing up a trigger when the envelope goes down to zero for example. I can see applications, as complex self-playing patches, where the the small delay a reasonable metro tempo would introduce would not be that much of an issue. Of course there would be nothing wrong with a dedicated output expander module for the 301…:yum:

1 Like

This would be ideal of course - I am not holding my breath though :smiley:

…and yes, a detectable ‘state’ on the ER-301 could lead to all kinds of fun and games!

Please note that if you purchased your ER-301 from June 2018 or later then your ER-301 has a header devoted to i2c which makes the previously required UART hardware modification unnecessary. The wiki has been updated with this information.

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Teletype_Integration

For further details on ER-301 hardware revisions:

http://wiki.orthogonaldevices.com/index.php/ER-301/Revisions

4 Likes

Hey all! Active member over at lines, but new here – I have my ER-301 on order and should be getting it mid-November! Can’t wait to dive in :slight_smile:

In terms of connecting the 301 to my Teletype (if I’m reading the connection doc properly), it seems like newer 301s can just use a standard i2c cable – there’s no need for a reversed cable anymore, correct?

Thanks!

Not sure what reversed cables you are talking about.
But the i2c hookup is very straightforward. Much like all the other i2c connections within the monome ecosystem.

1 Like