Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

I2C communication with Monome Teletype

Brought the discussion to a private message group. If you would like to be included please pm me so as to not detract from this thread further but also to benefit from the discussion so far.

2d

Back on topic.
@bpcmusic would it be a hassle to include a SC.TR.P alias? (There isn’t, unless I missed it, which is entirely possible)

there already is

I am officially stupid.

No.
Just that it’s hard to sift through various documentation docs and arrive at what might be most current state of things…

(No complaints, just acknowledging the continuously flowing bounty!)

It’s a river, my friend :slight_smile:

forgot to reply earlier - just wanted to say @sam’s contribution is much greater than just euclidean rhythms. he added several other key features (such as being able to use multiple commands on one line), and did a major refactor of the whole codebase which laid the foundation to make subsequent contributions easier, as well as making the platform more dependable and less bug prone. not to mention his work on documentation and helping others with the toolchain setup!

i posted a new beta that includes everything from 2.2 beta as well as er-301 support and grid integration, you can find it and the relevant discussion here: https://llllllll.co/t/teletype-2-3-release-beta-1/11232

it also includes some other fairly major updates, among them multi line copy/pasting.

@odevices just wanted to check and see if you had any further thoughts on this?

I currently suspect that the bootloader is sending console messages out via the UART which is sharing those I2C pins. These messages could be confusing the Teletype. If this is indeed the issue then I should have a fix in the next release.

I LOVE hearing this!
:heart_eyes:
Thank you!

I just had a look at that without the aid of a magnified photograph…and that’s REALLY small!

Were one to solder said shunt what kind of soldering iron/tip would be ideal? Imagine you’re talking to someone more accustomed to 8 gauge fencing wire than resistor lead wire so be gentle :wink:

Also is there any particular danger of heat damaging the D3 diode in the process?

I did it with my Chinese soldering iron that cost 12 euro and with almost no soldering experience. You only need a magnifying glass.
About damaging the diode, IIRC @odevices said you could even remove it with no issues, so…

After all, the whole point of the mod is bypassing it :slight_smile:

Excellent news, thanks. The diode was dwarfed by the tip of my, admittedly 20yo and cheap at the time, soldering iron…so I lost my nerve somewhat!

You’re basically tinning the shunt and then sticking it on with minimal effort, no?

Actually I think I was conflating a couple of different things I’d read, but it was a post of yours which I thought suggested a desoldered diode being the cause of a malfunction, but just revised and yours was a not completely soldered shunt. I’ll continue to bolster my courage!

I’m using a 0.8mm diameter D-shaped tip.

T18-D08 to be specific.

T18-D08

https://www.hakko.com/english/tip_selection/series_t18.html#type_d

However I sincerely believe that for this simple mod, you can get away with almost any tip that is less than 2mm in diameter.

I also believe it is much more important to use an iron whose temperature control you can trust. It should definitely be meant for soldering electronics which means proper temperature control and ESD protection. I recommend soldering at 350 degrees Celsius (plus or minus 20 degrees depending on conditions).

You shouldn’t need to hold the soldering iron to the area that you are soldering for more than 3 seconds.

Pro-tip: When out of practice, or using equipment for the first time (new iron, new tip, or new solder), practice making a few solder joints on a PCB that you don’t care about. This is where you set temperature and adjust technique so that you are able to wet a good solder joint in less than 2 or 3 seconds.

Excellent advice, thanks Brian. This being an I2C communication, not a soldering advice thread I appreciate it. I might hold off for an iron with better temperature control, even though I’m pretty certain I can get a joint in under 3 seconds…

I’m trying to add a local control for choosing the port in a custom unit with SC.TR and SC.CV inside - to easily change several sub-units input to the same port- but this is not really possible, right?
Can’t think of any other use case at the moment but it would be great to have integer control that can go up to 100!

Possibly not the best time to be asking these types of questions with the excitement about a new beta release, but I wonder if there’s anything I’m missing.

I’ve made the solder mod, connected wires and was running ER-301 beta 0.3.08 and Teletype 2.3 beta B537759. I instantiate a SC.TR in the ER-301 and send a SC.TR.PULSE a from Teletype. I get no pulse in the unit, regardless of the a value. It should show up as a normal signal in the scope of the unit, am I correct in understanding? I’ve checked the wiring too many times to count and resoldered, but the only thing I can think of it being is a failure of the mod. I’ve toggled Teletype support in the settings of the ER-301 and the address is set at 0xB0.

Is there any simple way to check the mod’s integrity or anything I could have missed?

Everything you said seems correct and should work. You are right in that the trigger would show up as a normal signal.

That’s basically where I was at when I had a bad solder joint, so that’s what I’d check (or check again)