Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

I2C communication with Monome Teletype

so is this working now?

is the soldering mod relatively foolproof? it looks pretty straightforward.

i’ve loaded .3.06 and i can’t wait to start using those two SC units!

Hello. I come with Alpha #2 of the ER-301 firmware. I’ve been able to verify this against the ER-301 firmware above with my modded ER-301. All works according to plan.

The primary fix (although there was some internal reshuffling to enable it) is to support up to 600 (!!!) virtual outputs across the three addresses (300 TR and 300 CV across 0xB0, 0xB1, 0xB2).

Download the latest ALPHA firmware (with all of the caveats of above) here:

teletype.SCALPHA2.hex.zip (141.1 KB)

I’ve just a few more tweaks before submitting this to @scanner_darkly for inclusion in his build.

Good luck!!

Holy bejeezus 600 outputs!?
It will take some serious trickery working with the 10 scripts to make a dent in that!
:smile:
but so awesome to see this happen!

Thank you @bpcmusic! I will make some time to try this out over the next few days. :star_struck:

Just for reference and posterity, here is the source code on the ER-301 side that is relevant to the Teletype:
ER-301-v0.3.06-teletype-src.zip (6.9 KB)
(This zip file is NOT firmware.)

So, no grid integration for now ?

somewhere above bpcmusic mentions his build is based on scanners branch. so yes, full on, grid integration!
(I still need some energy/time to digest all of this)

Awesome

You will need 3 ER-301s. :slight_smile: 100 TRs and 100 CVs per.

So, i was able to do the hardware mod and install the new firmwares.
Good news, everything worked instantly !
(Only one very small thing i noticed : you can SC.TR.P 0 on TT but there is no port 0 on the ER-301.)

Damn, the ER-301 + TT will totally change my workflow. This is HUGE. And with the Grid Ops, it blows my mind.

Would it be possible to imagine a way to link a TT scene and a ER-301 Quicksave Slot ?

Yeah - neither the TELEX or the ER-301 ops error on missing ports as they don’t really know. They just send i2c commands.

Up to @odevices; I’m sure we could figure out an op that would do something like that. You would call it during your TT init. For example:

SC.QS.LOAD 1 4

That could tell device #1 to load Quick Save slot #4.

Easy enough on the Teletype to implement - but I can’t speak for the SC.

I agree; pretty awesome to see them working together without patch cables!

I was about to ask for confirmation if this I2C communication is simply CV without patch cables, but it seems that it’s a little more sophisticated than this if the potential is there for remote quicksave slot loading.

Can someone give me a synopsis as to what is allowed over this bridge? I’m not particularly familiar with monome or the protocol in general.

I2C is a data protocol.

Thank you, shall read up on it, but there have been mentions of possible and not possible implementations of the protocol here…what does it look like in practice between these two devices?

oy feeling like such a dummy. i just finished doing the mod and foolishly did not study the images for the pin connections and just assumed the order was the same on both sides and now i’m back home from the studio with a modded 301 and a useless cable! :(((

Source code has been posted to this thread…

Again thank you, and I’ve read @bpcmusic’s explanation of what’s available, I’m not able to read source code and understand what that looks like in practice.

I guess I’m confused about what you are asking about. If you are asking “what’s possible?” It’s pretty wide open to whatever the implementors choose to do. If you are asking “what’s been implemented?” I guess I’m not sure which part of the explanation above is confusing or unclear.

I was asking, for someone who is not familiar with the monome ecosystem and with programming level instructions of devices (I for example will have no capacity to delve into the mid-layer programming of the ER-301, but will happily use units that others program and offer to the community saying “it does this…”) what are use case scenario’s? What does it look like in practice? What kinds of things does it offer which is not available using existing methods of external patching? I don’t delve into the internal patching, necessarily, of @Joe’s or @NeilParfitt, @rbeny or @kel’s creations but can happily put them to use in making sounds…i don’t think a lack of understanding of programming does or should limit enjoyment of the possibilities that are being discovered and spoken of so was looking for a less technical explanation thereof.

well, i haven’t really thought through all the implications yet, but just a simple for instace: using the grid ops, it would be extremely easy to make any number of buttons… let’s just say a whole row of 16, and route each button press to the trigger of 16 different sample players. try and do that with patch cables and a) you need several TxO expanders and b) you’ve used up every input on the 301.