Home | ER-101 | ER-102 | ER-301 | Wiki | Contact

I2C communication with Monome Teletype

interestingly, you’ll still need to use a micro delay in your SC.TR trigger chain when addressing sample player slices with SC.CV. i found that you can reduce it down to 5ms from 11ms needed when patching it in.

I did some.small diy project…
It looks like easy but I’ll let you know !

No worries. (and good luck !)

Remind me again why a Bump Scanner is necessary to make a drum kit? :thinking: AFAIK, that same chain you made can be used without the Teletype integration by just feeding it external triggers (from jacks) rather than via the virtual triggers from the Teletype. There was clearly some large psychological shift for you here and I’m very curious about what it was. :wink:

I’ll admit I know very little about the Teletype but this collab is super intriguing!

What’s the transmission speed from the TT to the 301? Is the pipe wide enough to handle complex/higher speed cv across multiple outputs simultaneously?

Is CPU load of these Teletype units fixed or variable depending on what it’s receiving?

Teletype is event based and can’t send continuous digital CV signals.

The resolution depends on how fast you are triggerinf its scripts from external inputs or the internal Metronome. Internal speed goes up to stable 25 msec or in experimental mode even faster.

This is insane! Looking forward to getting my ER-301 which is on its way!
A bit scared of making the mod but seems quite easy even for someone with terrible smd skills like me

You are absolutely right, i was totally wrong. No need for this at all. In this case the “only” benefit was the economy of patch cables.
This would be different for instance if i were to trigger random samples within a chain. In this case i prefer the TT workflow rather use white noise + s&h + bump scanners on the ER-301.

SC.TR.P RRAND 1 4 does the job.

Thank you, that makes potential usage much clearer for me

i’ve got a question about the parameter scaling with SC.CV messages. In fact, i suspect that i still didn’t understand the parameter ranges in the ER-301.
Let’s take a Manual Grain Unit.
When driving the V/Oct parameter, simply using the V table on the TT works perfectly. 1 V = 1 octave.
Then for the start and duration (assuming we’ve set the modulation gain to 1.00 and bias to 0), i found that i need to send a value of 16383 to get the maximum. (Is that even right ?)
Then, for the speed parameter, i’m confused. i cannot seem to find the relation between what i send from the TT and the result.
(as a side note, debugging would be much easier if we were able to monitor the current value of a parameter)

Totally agree with this. Sequencing is better done outside of the ER-301 by design. The ER-301 is not meant to transport that ITB feeling to eurorack. Some people take it as a personal challenge to try and see how much they can do completely inside the ER-301. However, in my humble opinion, involving other modules is very important to workflow and to the health of your case’s ecosystem.

I really really want to stay under the radar and have my modules serve as supporter and enabler for the huge variety of modules out there.

and ITB stands for ?

In the box.

AFAIK, this a Teletype precedent. The full output range of the destination device is mapped to the integers between -16383 and 16383. In other words, 15-bit signed integers. I just basically emulated exactly what would happen if you sent the same command to a TELEXo and then plugged its output into one of the ABCD inputs on the ER-301.

It did occur to me suggest an alternative format for numerical arguments such as 16.16 fixed point format but I decided it is better to wait and see how the integration goes.

So for unipolar parameters (only positive) it would be 0-16383, and for bipolar parameters, such as “speed” in sample players, it would be -16383 to 16383 ?

Or you could send SC.CV 1 V 10
16383 represents the total amount of discrete steps in between 0 and 10 volts (on the outputs)
Or in other words, it’s the internal resolution.
And the V modifier converts a value to multiples of 1638,3
You could also send stuff like SC.CV 1 N 12 which would be the same as SC.CV 1 V 1
Here every integer (semi-tone) corresponds to 136,525 internal steps.

Why 16383? It is the largest signed number that can be represented with 16 bits

Actually signed 16 bit integers are -32767 to 32767. So for some reason (probably DAC choice?) only 15-bits are being used.

The ER-301 maps -10V to 10V to internal values of -1 to 1. The Teletype maps -16383 to 16383 to -10V to 10V. Therefore,
-16383 to 16383 is mapped to -1 to 1 in the ER-301. In other words,

VALUE in ER-301 = (VALUE in TELETYPE)/16383.

So, in a sample player, to set the speed value to 3.00 with the teletype, you need to send 16383 and set the gain to 3.00, right ?

That is correct! Just like an external input.