I2C CV resolution

Hi, with the upcoming nerdseq I2C expander my head is boiling with ideas.
It has always been hard to select precisely a slice with CV when working with a large number of slices (like a few hundreds) in a sample.
My question is wouldn’t that be easier with I2C due to its digital nature and what exactly is the resolution of the i2c cv ?

1 Like

I just hit :heart: because I’m equally excited about the upcoming Nerdseq expander, but I can’t say I’m following you. It seems to me that selecting one exact slice out of hundreds will always a little hard in some way, but why would it be inaccurate when not using i2c? The only times I thought “well, this is inaccurate” is when I forgot to add a micro delay after the incoming gate on the sample player :laughing:

because of the fluctuation of voltage if you have 1000 slices in 10 volts range a minimal drop in voltage would select a wrong slice. I use very often samples of 512 slices and every now and then the wrong slice is selected and I think it’s because of the fluctuating nature of CV, a problem that would be eliminated by the digital nature of I2C.
Which appears to have 16384 steps resolution after some research :slight_smile:

I think CV over i2c can have a value from 0 through 16383…so I would say with i2c you can select 16384 slices accurately.

I’m not sure anyone knows 100% yet but doesn’t nerdseq do a lot of values as two digit hex? The value range coming from nerdseq may be 256.

Several nerdseq values go to 3 digit hex, so I would expect at least that…so 4096…

I don’t see a reason I2C tracks would have that kind of limitations, they will be using an interface specific to them and if I2C values can go to 16383 I am pretty sure it will be implemented that way on the nerdseq.
Just like midi tracks works differently than modular tracks